Thread: Paragon Backup and Recovery 16 Free failing

Paragon Backup and Recovery 16 Free failing

Hi All. New user here.

Trying to use Paragon Backup and Recovery 16 Free on my Win 8 PC to make a backup and restore the 2 partitions of an SD Card for my Raspberry Pi ( used for OctoPrint on a 3D printer ).

Installed Paragon, and worked thru the Backup Wizard.

Selected the Boot Partition and made a backup.
    Selected the Primary Partition ( ~7Gb ) and made a separate backup.

When I try to restore to a new ( larger ) SD Card, here's what happens :

I restore the Boot Sector to the new SD. Appears successful and then displays a message : If you have Linux installed, please reinit its boot loader!

I then try to restore the Primary Partition. As the new SD card is 16Gb ( compared to original 8Gb ) I set the partition size to 12Gb to use some of the additional space on the SC card.
    At the end of the restore process :
    Running Tasks 100%
    Operation Failed
    X restore partitions or disks from virtual containers Description Not Found

If I go to 'My Activities' > View Details :
    Operation Failed
    Failed to get error description. Error Code is 2684354857
    Error Source:
    Error Code: 0xa0000129

If I use the Windows Computer Management to view the partition info, I can see the boot and primary partition on the SD card.
    The Primary Partition is 7Gb - size from the original backup, not the new ( 12Gb ) size that I specified during the restore.

When I insert the SD in to the Pi, it dows not boot.

Advice please ?

Re: Paragon Backup and Recovery 16 Free failing

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOB View Post
    I set the partition size to 12Gb to use some of the additional space on the SC card.
    Can you attach screenshots or photos?
    -------------------------------
    I found a post on a similar topic. https://liudr.wordpress.com/2016/03/...-raspberry-pi/
    Last edited by fireworker; 18.03.18 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Hi

Can you attach screenshots or photos?
    -------------------------------
    That is the same article that led me to downloading Paragon this morning.

The latest Paragon interface is different to that shown in the article.

pic1.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpg

OK. Having read all the posts in that article, it appears that Paragon is no longer able to do this function as there doesn't seem to be any successful reports with the version 16.

Maybe time to look for a copy of the older version 14 or start hunting for another solution that may work. Would you know if the older versions are available from Paragon ?

I think that your task can be successfully solved both with the help of old versions and new ones. Old BRFree is available, of course, but I would prefer HDM16Basic.

Try to restore the Ext partition into unallocated space?
    u.jpg
    ---------------------
    I would first save the whole SD. Then he restored onto the new SD a without changing partitions sizes. I would check how it works. If everything works well, then I would try to increase the size of Ext.
    Last edited by fireworker; 18.03.18 at 12:13.

I would first save the whole SD. Then he restored onto the new SD a without changing partitions sizes. I would check how it works. If everything works well, then I would try to increase the size of Ext.

I think that defeats the purpose of the exercise, as sometimes an SD card, let's say 8Gb, does not have the exact same amount of space on it as the old backed up SD card had.

The aim is to be able to change the size of the partition as part of the restore process.

When something does not work out for me (something that works for other people), I try to simplify the task, divide it into stages to determine where the error is.

When something does not work out for me (something that works for other people), I try to simplify the task, divide it into stages to determine where the error is.
    Thanks. But from the replies on that article, it appears that others have also been unable to make this work and moved on to looking for better options. My expertise are not in this field, so I will likely have to google some more for a solution that works

just my two cents, but i'd try fireworker's suggestion to just first restore as is, then resize. just to test, see what happens. I've had some quirky stuff happen wit PHDM 16, but after doing some workarounds, I got it to do what I wanted.
    the reason i'd stay wit phdm 16, rather than backward, is there have been a lot of changes in windows, and paragon has worked to keep up with those changes, but I will assume that only the latest versions will be kept up to date going forward, in the constant battle of spy vs spy, etc, keeping security up to date, etc.

if we all work together and can find the workarounds, we can then also post to actual support site, to inform them of the quirks.
    they are receptive to fixing things, but I think they are bombarded due to the new version, interface3 change, etfc

I too am trying to backup and restore a Raspberry Pi image to a more appropriately sized SD card and also have been unable to get version 16 to work properly. Is there a trusted download site for version 14? I see mention above that it's available but I don't see anything directly from Paragon.

Thanks in advance.