Thread: W11 Partially Corrupted After Disk Image Restored .. some MMC no longer work

Angry W11 Partially Corrupted After Disk Image Restored .. some MMC no longer work

I have a Beelink MiniS computer; N95 processor, 16GB memory, 512Gb SSD drive.
    I installed Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Build 22621.1992 and applied the patche available as of the July 2023 Patch Tuesday.
    No other software have been installed on the system.
    Before doing a system backup, I confirmed that both Task Scheduler and Event Viewer MMC were working properly.
    Next, I booted the computer from the HDM 17 Advanced Recovery Media, WinPE edition created by HD MGR V17.20.11.6089.
    I performed 2 backups; A regular one (no options selected) and another one using the Raw option (sector by sector).

I restored the regular image backup. Windows booted normally. However both Task Scheduler and Event Viewer MMCs were not working anymore.
    They MMC both produced this error message: MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

I then restored the Sector-by-Sector disk image. Again, Windows booted normally but the Task Scheduler and Event Viewer MMC were still not working.
    I noticed this issue when I first attempted to restore a Beelink MiniS disk image onto a Beelink SEi12 mini-pc. I thought it was caused by different hardware. I did not know at the time that it was HD Mgr that was corrupting something.

Bottom line: Either the Backup image is not a true image of the SSD OR the Restore operation modify something after the disk image has been restored.

I opened a support request with Paragon on July 18 but I have not heard anything back from them.

Re: W11 Partially Corrupted After Disk Image Restored .. some MMC no longer work

I received a reply from Paragon and they gave me access to Hard Disk Mgr 17 Advanced v 17.20.21.
    I tested it and that version still does not perform a true disk image/restore.
    Before doing a new disk image backup, I confirmed that Task Scheduler on the test computer was working normally.
    Upon the restore of a disk image, Task Scheduler did not work anymore. It produced this error: MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.
    I have no clue what gets corrupted by HDM because some MMC work and some other are broken after a HDM Backup/Restore operation. The rest of W11 appears to be functional.