Hello!

I've been using LZX compression on NTFS on Windows for a while now, as it's a really efficient algorithm. For those unfamiliar, this differs from "normal" NTFS compression by not being transparent - you cannot enable it on the FS and then set a folder to compress with LZX, and writing to any already-compressed file with cause it to decompress until you might recompress it. You do this with compact /exe:lzx.

I know the ntfs-3g driver can't handle these files on Linux, but I also read on Phoronix that the NTFS3 driver by Paragon will. I just a) don't know if that's accurate, as I cannot find any explicit mentioning of this on the Paragon site or in the PDF manual, and b) don't know if it's read-only if indeed it is supported.

In the manual it is mentioned that you can use -o bestcompr to use "the best" compression, but it isn't clarified what this means, only that it's CPU-heavy. If it's accurate, it should be LZX as that is the "best" compression in terms of size reduction, but it could be they mean some other algorithm or simply higher level on the default algorithm.

Does anyone know what the situation is with LZX here? Is it supported? If so, R/W? If so, can I actually compress to LZX while writing? And if so, does -o bestcompr mean LZX?

Thanks