Thread: HDM 1.7 bootable USB version does not see main drive

Question HDM 1.7 bootable USB version does not see main drive

I recently updated to HDM 17.
    I created the bootable USB media disk.
    When I boot from this, HDM is only seeing the USB media, not the SSD's of the devices I've booted on. I though this might be because those SSD's were encrypted with bitlocker, however if I physically remove the SSD, put it into an external caddy, then HDM can see that device.
    Is there something I need to do to see the SSD without having to remove it and use an external caddy?

This wasn't a problem with the earlier versions of HDM that I've used (15 for example).

Re: HDM 1.7 bootable USB version does not see main drive

Quote Originally Posted by mtcsltd View Post
    When I boot from this, HDM is only seeing the USB media, not the SSD's of the devices I've booted on. I though this might be because those SSD's were encrypted with bitlocker, however if I physically remove the SSD, put it into an external caddy, then HDM can see that device.
    Is there something I need to do to see the SSD without having to remove it and use an external caddy?

This wasn't a problem with the earlier versions of HDM that I've used (15 for example).
    I have the same problem with a new ASUS 2in1 that came with Windows 11. When I boot from the USB media HDM17 can only see USB drives but not the main NVME SSD. I eMailed Paragon but never received a reply. Program worked well in Windows 10 on my old HP 2in1 for cloning the main NVME. Maybe HDM 17 doesn't play well with WIN11 on an external boot? All other aspects of the program work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you happen to get a new computer too? How is the SATA Operation on your computer set up? On the Dell Workstations I support, I need to modify the BIOS configuration so the SATA Operation is "AHCI" and not "RAID On". All Dell workstations seem to come with "RAID On" as the default, even if there aren't multiple drives or if RAID is not needed. I have found that if my BIOS is configured for RAID On, my HDM Boot disk won't "see" the hard drives in the system. I also found that if the system boot hard drive had the OS installed with the BIOS in the RAID On configuration, the computer system won't boot properly if I change the SATA Operation to AHCI. It's a bit of a conundrum. I reconfigure all the Dell workstations I get by changing the SATA Operation to ACHI and then re-install the OS on the system boot drives. Then my Paragon HDM boot disk can always see the drives.

Another option, if you find your system is configured for RAID ON, is to inject RAID drivers for your system into the HDM boot ISO. I haven't had any luck with this method yet, but you may be able to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by georgebee View Post
    I have the same problem with a new ASUS 2in1 that came with Windows 11. When I boot from the USB media HDM17 can only see USB drives but not the main NVME SSD. I eMailed Paragon but never received a reply. Program worked well in Windows 10 on my old HP 2in1 for cloning the main NVME. Maybe HDM 17 doesn't play well with WIN11 on an external boot? All other aspects of the program work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Georgebee, I think you need to inject drivers for the NVMe drives into your HDM boot ISO. I have no problems using HDM17 with Win11. The drivers for the NVMe drives are termed IaVROC or F5 drivers. I use NTLite to inject the drivers into the ISO, and then Rufus to create the boot USB stick.

I hate to start off this way but I have never seen such horrid, horrid support. How does Paragon expect to stay in business with no support?

Anyway.... I am new to Paragon and won't be here long. I have a Optiplex 3000 and had the same issue when booting the bootable media. It is because Dell sets their SATA to RST in Optiplexes, I too reset it to AHCI. That being said all you have to do is hit Dell's web site and download the RST drivers for your model. Build the boot media with those downloaded drivers and it will recognize the hard drive at that point. My issue is the "Find and Adjust OS" will not inject those same drivers in the OS. I keep getting the error that "The driver is not supported by the program". It is the same drive I build the bootable media with. Paragon has no support. Software with no support is like a screen door on a submarine.

Paragon Support wrote to me that there are no more employees for the forum.

Opens a ticket that is the only chance

Hi guys. I recently purchased a laptop based on the 11th generation i7-1165G7 and had the same problem. It seems the NVMe drivers of the WinPE image take precedence over any other HDD drivers, so no amount of injecting any drivers was of any use. You need to use the current WinPE version based on Windows 11 ADK (22H2) or the previous one (21H2), then you can create boot media in HDM 17 which will recognize the drive, no extra drivers needed. Note that you will need to download and install the respective WinPE addon in addition to the Windows 11 ADK to create the HDM 17 boot media.

Hope this anyone else.

Cheers.

On further testing, it seems this is not a precedence issue but rather one of compatibility: The VMD-type RST driver provided by the laptop manufacturer is not compatible with any of the Windows PE environments. An alternate solution is to inject the AHCI-type drivers from the Windows 11 ADK into the HDM17 boot media. You will find them in the file repository of the WinPE image (winpe.wim). These are the ones from the Windows 11 ADK v22H2:

iastorav.inf_amd64_87f761c07c99d5e7
    iastorv.inf_amd64_9c09bd1df352f065

Note that my observations are valid only for the chipset in question.

Apologies, the only needed driver is the RST driver in iastorav.inf_amd64_87f761c07c99d5e7 - the other is a Matrix Storage Manager driver for Windows 7.

Cheers.