Thread: Operation failed: Disk is not valid - Solved

Operation failed: Disk is not valid - Solved

I post this in the hopes of helping others as support is poor from manufacturer.

When checking the integrity of the backup and finishing the backup it would say

Bad Container Block: 0x6b2a
    Internal error during operation. Please see hdmengine_fdisk.txt for more information
    Operation failed:
    Disk is not valid.

Well the hdmengine_fdist.txt is pretty unintelligible.

I eventually figured that the word container led me to think it had to do with the usb drive that I was using. It was a brand new Seagate USB 5 TB drive.

I called Seagate and in 15 Minutes was talking with a tech. (take note Paragon, as you have no phone support and only respond to some emails at your choice days later)

The tech suggested to me that the drive was formatted in exFat format (based on looking at windows Disk Manager) And if I only used windows try deleting the partition and format in NTFS. The disk comes formatted in exFat is so that the drive can be used with Mac and Windows. I only use Windows. So I did this and then did backup with no errors with integrity check. This has taken me 5 days to resolve of wasted time that Seagate solved in 15 Minutes. Yes frustrated.

So if you have an error like this, this COULD be the issue.
    regards to all.

Question Unable to backup to Microsoft Storage Spaces

I attempted to backup an NTFS Win 10 operating system drive to another PC which was using Microsoft Storage Spaces configured in a mirror configuration (two drives mirrored). The total amount of space on the GPT NVMe drive being copied was 150G out of 500G of available space. The PC I was backing up to is on the same local network, with a 1G/bit per second connection for each machine to an Ethernet switch that otherwise was not busy. The backup appeared to work satisfactorily, but the verification failed with the following message:
    Copying volume...
    Copy data by sector
    Saving index file to \\192.168.1.59/D/Finan-backup/Job-201981781423/Job-201981781423_2022-03-26_08-53-30/Job-201981781423_2022-03-26_08-53-30.pfi
    Checking virtual drive archive integrity: \\192.168.1.59/D/Finan-backup/Job-201981781423/Job-201981781423_2022-03-26_08-53-30/Job-201981781423_2022-03-26_08-53-30.pfi
    Total container blocks: 0xe8e1c
    Bad container block: 0x22fb7
    Internal error during operation. Please see hdmengine_fdisk.txt for more information.
    All operations have been finished

It appears that the latest version of Paragon Hard Disk Manager 17 is not compatible with Microsoft Storage Spaces. Is there a change to the configuration of the Paragon Hard Disk Manager that needs to be made to make it compatible with Microsoft Storage Spaces on Win 10 Pro?
    Below is another user that had a similar problem with copying a backup to a different file system.

Quote Originally Posted by KD KD View Post
    I post this in the hopes of helping others as support is poor from manufacturer.

When checking the integrity of the backup and finishing the backup it would say

Bad Container Block: 0x6b2a
    Internal error during operation. Please see hdmengine_fdisk.txt for more information
    Operation failed:
    Disk is not valid.

Well the hdmengine_fdist.txt is pretty unintelligible.

I eventually figured that the word container led me to think it had to do with the usb drive that I was using. It was a brand new Seagate USB 5 TB drive.

I called Seagate and in 15 Minutes was talking with a tech. (take note Paragon, as you have no phone support and only respond to some emails at your choice days later)

The tech suggested to me that the drive was formatted in exFat format (based on looking at windows Disk Manager) And if I only used windows try deleting the partition and format in NTFS. The disk comes formatted in exFat is so that the drive can be used with Mac and Windows. I only use Windows. So I did this and then did backup with no errors with integrity check. This has taken me 5 days to resolve of wasted time that Seagate solved in 15 Minutes. Yes frustrated.

So if you have an error like this, this COULD be the issue.
    regards to all.