Thread: back is stuck, hung, at Scan files...

back is stuck, hung, at Scan files...

hello
    I have a new i7-11700 with 32GB Ram computer.

2 months ago I bought Paragon Hard Disk Manager 17 Advanced, Version 17.20.0. (paid)

I did a bull backup (110GB data) and one incremental backup. (my setting is 1 full followed by 6 incremental.)
    No problems. I am backing up to an external 2.5'' USB 3.0 Hard Drive I just purchased.

I am Only backing up C:\Users\<<username>> folder. Nothing else. It was 110GB. Not very large.

I then added 58GB of data (home directory) from an old laptop.

So now my C:\Users went from 110GB to ~170GB.

I did a full backup of C:\Users to another USB 3.0 3.5'' Hard Drive, no problems.

Now going back to the 2.5'' HDD, trying to do another incremental backup, Paragon is heavily processing and stuck for more than 6 hours at "Scan files..." stage task.
    Just because I added 58GB of data (now a total of 173GB), the incremental is taking sooo long and I don't know when to stop it. And I don't know if it is truly stuck on not. CPU usage is high.

After 6 hours I thought that maybe it is hung in an infinite loop. So I cancelled it and rebooted my computer. Trying the incremental backup again has the same problem.

As I am writing this post, this time it has been 5 hours stuck on "Scan files...".

This is where it looks like it is hung:

Task details:
    VSS technology is started.
    Getting VSS components list...
    Sync changed files...
    Scan the previous volume state.
    Scan the current volume state.
    Scan volume...
    Scan files...
    Calc files hash...
    Process excludes...
    Create file tree...
    Preparing to copy...
    Scan volume...
    Scan files...

Please advise how long should I wait? Should I delete/stop the incremental backup and do a full backup instead?

thanks.
    --Farhad

Re: back is stuck, hung, at Scan files...

Still waiting, 1 day, 6 hours!! To do an incremental backup of 170 GB. Is this normal?

paragon_scrnShot.jpg

I have pretty much the same problem, except I get a "Back failed!...Operation has failed. Probably, it has been terminated unexpectedly" error notice; only happens on one drive. Appears no one from Paragon responded to your initial post.

They probably kill this program by the lack of support, you should start looking for a normal program.