Thread: Differential backup always creates full backup

mizunooto

Differential backup always creates full backup

I'm using Paragon Backup and Recovery 17 CE (basically, the free home-use version) on Windows 10. Full backups work fine. However, I've set up a differential backup and I never get any differentials, it always does a full backup. Same thing happens if I try incremental.

I saw a KB article (https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/226) that seemed to relate, but talked about scripts, which I don't know about. I just set up the backup parameters in the program and let it run. It could be a simple PATH issue, because the system is clearly not finding the base file.

Re: Differential backup always creates full backup

Hello and welcome to the forums!
    This issue has been resolved in latest HDM17 Advanced (Paid version): https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-windows/

I have HDM17 Adv (paid version) and I have set up a chain of 1 full and 6 incremental (not differential) and all I get are full backups, no incremental.
    Last edited by Skeeter; 24.07.21 at 17:41.

I have 3 computers. Initially, I was getting incremental + full chains on only one of these. After reinstalling on one of the other computers, I was able to get incremental + full on that computer. I have not been successful on the third computer after several reinstalls. I have been careful, restarting after uninstalling, deleting the paragon folders in Program Files and Program Data, as well as the destination folders on a NAS. I am planning to collect logs and submit to support.

I found a log file: hdmengine_brv.log showing that in incremental backup was attempted, encountered an error (0x11114) cleaned up preparations for the incremental backup and commenced to do a full backup. The error occurred on one of the master boot record volumes. I thought that enabling RAW processing would help, but no luck.

mizunooto

I haven't had any success and clearly this isn't seen as a priority, so I switched to different backup software that has worked properly for me.

i'm curious what you switched to.
    i've used acronis long time ago, it got bloaty; then i switched to paragon, ; it has had its glitches, does not seem to have super-interested development behind it, but it has worked; i don't know what is any better (or worse), they all seem to have their glitches
    any feedback apreciated