Thread: Can't mount NAS with recovery media

Question Can't mount NAS with recovery media

Paragon makes its backups on my Windows 10 machine just fine to my network drive. I wanted to test the recovery media to make sure I could access the backup in case my machine has some kind of major issue, but I am unable to. I have network access: I can ping google.com. The problem is that when I enter the username/pw and the location of the folder to connect the network location to, I get this error:

"Operation Failed. A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."

What the heck? So how am I supposed to map a network drive in the recovery environment? I tested inputting the wrong password, and it definitely sees the location because it then tells me that the username/pw is wrong and prompts me to enter the valid one. Upon entering the valid one, I get that same error. The NAS in question is a Synology device.

Re: Can't mount NAS with recovery media

When accessing network shares in Windows PE 10 it's necessary to prepend the user name with '.\' if the network resource is on the local network/domain.
    For example enter '.\Administrator'

Re: Can't mount NAS with recovery media

You can also use the following user names:
    192.168.1.20\Administrator
    Home-PC\Administrator

AW: Can't mount NAS with recovery media

Quote Originally Posted by Architekt View Post
    Paragon makes its backups on my Windows 10 machine just fine to my network drive. I wanted to test the recovery media to make sure I could access the backup in case my machine has some kind of major issue, but I am unable to. I have network access: I can ping google.com. The problem is that when I enter the username/pw and the location of the folder to connect the network location to, I get this error:

"Operation Failed. A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."

What the heck? So how am I supposed to map a network drive in the recovery environment? I tested inputting the wrong password, and it definitely sees the location because it then tells me that the username/pw is wrong and prompts me to enter the valid one. Upon entering the valid one, I get that same error. The NAS in question is a Synology device.
    Hi, did this work for you? I'm experiencing a similar problem: I can even ping my NAS but Paragon refuses to connect. And of course, I already tried to connect with 192.198.0.xx\pw
    Any other idea what could be wrong? Paragon never finds the NAS automatically - not even when creating the rescue media - although all network connections are monted then.

Re: AW: Can't mount NAS with recovery media

I had the same problem, mounting a network shared folder on my Synology NAS from the recovery runtime failed. For me the problem was that the samba (SMB) configuration on the NAS disabled NTLMv1. Seems that the Paragon recovery media supports only this outdated version. Allowing NTLMv1 on Synology NAS resolves the problem:

On Synology-NAS Go to "Control Panel -> File Services -> SMB -> Advanced Settings -> TAB 'Others'" and enable NTLMv1 authentication.

Perhaps you must restart the NAS for activating the changes.

Then from Paragon's recovery environment I use the commandline:

net use s: \\YOUR-NAS\YOUR_SHARED_FOLDER

and enter User and Password as simple strings (e.g, 'admin' and password 'MY_SECRET_PASSWORD'). Then you should have access to your backups.

Re: AW: Can't mount NAS with recovery media

Quote Originally Posted by devrandom View Post
    I had the same problem, mounting a network shared folder on my Synology NAS from the recovery runtime failed. For me the problem was that the samba (SMB) configuration on the NAS disabled NTLMv1. Seems that the Paragon recovery media supports only this outdated version. Allowing NTLMv1 on Synology NAS resolves the problem:

On Synology-NAS Go to "Control Panel -> File Services -> SMB -> Advanced Settings -> TAB 'Others'" and enable NTLMv1 authentication.

Perhaps you must restart the NAS for activating the changes.

Then from Paragon's recovery environment I use the commandline:

net use s: \\YOUR-NAS\YOUR_SHARED_FOLDER

and enter User and Password as simple strings (e.g, 'admin' and password 'MY_SECRET_PASSWORD'). Then you should have access to your backups.
    The NTLMv1 suggestion worked for me, even though it is considered un-secure, I can enable the disable as I need it. thanks for the answer