How mounting works and what is required

1) First you have to verify if OTG is supported. OTG stands for "on the go" which requires an adaptor that converts your charging port into USB; but it must be low powered USB. Older Android devices used micro USB; newer Android devices use USB type C.

While there is an app for that, most Android devices running Android support them. As for those who use Apple products, I cannot speak for them, because I do not own any Apple devices.

Assuming you already know it supports OTG, your two required pieces of hardware are:
*OTG adapter
* Power bank or USB powered hub; to use a power bank, you'll need a Y splitter cable that has the USB 3 micro usb, for the hard drive, and two USB plugs, one for data and one for sync; I however just hook up a USB powered HUB directly to the OTG adapter; then plug in the powered HUB to an outlet.

*I would also add, that you may have to move the hard drive's USB cable to a different port, if your device enters charging mode.

2) You'll need to access your device's settings and search for USB, and enable debugging mode; and you may even have to tap the about section to enter developer mode (for specific instructions, refer to the owners manual;

The next part of the puzzle is software or App;

By default, Android devices cannot read NTSF partitioned devices; any Windows PC can; even older computers running Windows XP;

1) Go to your app store (for Android its Google play or Amazon app) and install the Paragon app; and purchase all the file system kits, that are 10.00; but you can also just purchase NTSF;

Any hard drive that is 1TB or higher, uses NTSF; smaller storage capacities use Exfat; and then the really old file systems are fat16, and fat32;
*if you have a macbook computer, they can only read NTSF; you'll need to install the paragon software or format the hard drive in the apple supported file system.

Once the app is installed, and the full version is unlocked, you have the software part that mounts. No external hard drive will mount without external power. This is very important. When I first set this up, on my Onn Android tablet, 2019 model; it would mount and then disconnect.

OTG adapters are available at Walmart and so are the powered USB root hubs; Meijers; Amazon and Ebay are also great places to order accessories;

2) You'll need to install Start commander or X-explore app that browses the contents;

3) Install a player such as VLC; but there are numerous apps that support a wide variety of formats.

Its pretty straight forward; and pretty cool;

If you need a free program to convert partitions; format; copy; I recommend Partition guru; its free and can be found at cnet in the downloads section, then browse under windows downloads; Windows computers has a basically utility to erase and choose the partition system.

If your storage is 1TB and above, you will want to stick with NTSF;

4TB mounting: (Below is an important piece of info):

Many people may not understand file systems or file structure. But I was given a 4TB hard drive and had it all set up, but the paragon app didn't recognize and it had me stumped; it made no sense. Because the hard drive was working just fine on Windows 7; the file system was not corrupted nor its partition removed; every storage device has to have a partition set up on it, or no device can see it; or use it;

I begin to troubleshoot because there was nothing wrong with the hard drive; even tried a different AC wall plug, thinking that the generic replacement I ordered, wasn't supplying enough power; but I soon learned why, why a 4TB wouldn't mount:

All 4TB hard drives, must, MUST be set up in GUID; by default the hard drive may be set up with MBR; MBR or GUID are file structures; and I guess dictates where the first "track" is stored; obviously, a windows device cannot boot in GUID; but GUID is can easily be set up through partition guru; make sure you have the contents backed up;

In some cases, Windows cannot properly display the free space available on a 4TB hard drive, that I read from Tom's hardware, unless its in GUID. So make sure your 4TB is in NTSF, and GUID; Partition Guru will show all the details on your screen.

I hope this helps people. Because Paragon gets a some bad reviews. And though it stinks that external power is required, it is, what it is. I'll use this method until the 2TB micro SD cards fall below 80.00

When it comes to adding more storage

If you don't want to hassle with OTG adapter; usb powered hub; as I believe the external power requirement is for hard drives only; mice; keyboards; ans flash drives, shouldn't need extra power;

The alternative methods:

wireless storage devices and wifi card readers:

1) Kingston Mobile Lite card readers that use Wifi signal to pair; if you log the box thing onto your existing wifi network, you'll get internet access; and they also come with ethernet port, to hook up to a hotel / motel wired network, if they have it. Almost no place uses wired anymore. The Kingston device uses an app to browse and play;

the drawbacks: it plays, and then pauses; it resumes; but often have to minimize and then tap the app to restore it to full screen to refresh it;

there is another company that makes them;

WD makes a wireless hard drive; so does Seagate; this is often more expensive but it is an option.

Micro SD card expansion (if your phone supports it)
Android 10 devices, are supporting up to 2TB micro SD cards, that go inside the phone's sim card tray.

Online storage (requiring access to the internet)

Cloud and Google Drive are great options. While I cannot speak for Cloud, I have a google drive account, with the cheapest plan; the upgrade from free, that comes with 15GB; the 2TB starts at 9.99/mo; phones; tablets; and computers can be set up to detect and automatically back up your items to your account;

There are app based players that let you stream from the google / cloud drive account.

Somebody might be reading this and say why, why carry around a hard drive:

Tablets and cell phones do not support a bluray or dvd player (in terms of video input); while you can use a HD capture card using a camera app and that turns your phone or tablet into a secondary monitor , there are no accessories out yet that simply forces your android phone to become a monitor ;

But you can through VLC, browse the bluray disc or DVD's file structure (read only) and find the vob folder and tap the VOB file and play it that way; your best bet, is to either purchase the file through your Amazon prime account (aka digital copies) which are probably MP4 files; or rip the DVDs/blurays;

this means you still need a computer to store / host and copy to an external hard drive;

What programs convert? Well most every store bought movie is copy protected. But some offer a digital copy, with a code you put in, you can transfer the file on a computer or device and watch it on the go; otherwise DVD fab will rip and convert (all in one step);

how much space is needed:

SD MP4 h264 with 128kb/sec sound and preserving the resolution, you'll average about 1GB per hour;
HD 2 GB/hr

What devices are compatible with file play back (via external hard drives)

Roku smart devices with USB ports (that includes roku smart TVs)
Sony Smart Bluray players such as the DPS3700 *4TB requires GUID*

Don't have a smart tv or smart bluray player:

The Van Hause Nano is a card reader player box that plugs into any TV with two output options:
RCA or HDMI; this mounts, browses and plays; it bridges the gap for TVs and essentially makes it a computer;

You can also rely on Plex and Play on (on a host machine) or dedicated stand alone server box to share files through the network;
Windows 7 and later requires remote access enabled;

Media streaming on - and any Windows computer (7 and later) that joins the home group and can access;
but those explore apps that has a network browser on your device can't access it, without a policy editor - so to share and browse through an explore app, you'll need to store your files in your Windows public shared folder;

Plex and Play on will share any folder you specify - and that makes it available on the device with the app installed;

This is all what they call, cord cutting; and its great for kids; no discs, no players; no carrying around a TV screen; discs scratch up; the cases themselves and grow meldew if out in tents; and the limit to how many music (songs) movies or pictures is the storage capacity;

It can also allow one to squeeze more movies per disc (such as dvd or blue ray) a single layer dvd can easily hold 3 (90 min movies) though dvd movies are mpeg 2 compression;