Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backup configuration doesn't "stick". Changes randomly

Re: Backup configuration doesn't "stick". Changes randomly

Greetings all,

I have just updated to HDM17 and I am experiencing the same issue as others have stated: backup parameters are not persisting. In my case, they remain as set until I close the program, and then re-open. I suspect, however, that this only begins to be a problem if I try to change from the original setup regime. I am going to do the following test: set up a new backup regime, and see if it persists SO LONG AS I DO NOT SUBSEQUENTLY CHANGE IT. I will post back here once I have the result. I have emailed support, and have been assigned a ticket number, and we shall see what transpires.

One thing I fear: that the COVID19 pandemic has seriously compromised the support and development teams.

Quote Originally Posted by skye352 View Post
    Greetings all,

I have just updated to HDM17 and I am experiencing the same issue as others have stated: backup parameters are not persisting. In my case, they remain as set until I close the program, and then re-open. I suspect, however, that this only begins to be a problem if I try to change from the original setup regime. I am going to do the following test: set up a new backup regime, and see if it persists SO LONG AS I DO NOT SUBSEQUENTLY CHANGE IT. I will post back here once I have the result. I have emailed support, and have been assigned a ticket number, and we shall see what transpires.

One thing I fear: that the COVID19 pandemic has seriously compromised the support and development teams.
    I have now run the test mentioned and the same problem occurred. I admit it was a "long shot". Oh well. I also tried the same test loading the program several times as "administrator", still with no success. It appears that parameters are simply not saved, or are determined by the backups already present (e.g. If I have one full and 3 incremental, that's what shows up in the parameters when I restart the software, which ends up causing another full backup.) It really is such a basic issue for it not to be fixed after this long a time. I looked in various locations in the registry, appdata folders and program data folders for "strategy" settings or settings files, but could find none that relate.

For now, my only workaround is to reset the parameters for incremental runs higher each time so that I can do another manual incremental. Fortunately, I don't need to schedule backups. But for a mission critical backup setup, the present situation is clearly a no-go!

skye352 you have the exact problem that others here have mentioned. Several of us have contacted support and been given support tickets.
    Do not hold your breathe waiting for a fix, this has been an issue for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyGuy View Post
    skye352 you have the exact problem that others here have mentioned. Several of us have contacted support and been given support tickets.
    Do not hold your breathe waiting for a fix, this has been an issue for some time.
    Good news! Just received a message from support: "I sincerely apologize for the issue. A new software build is expected to be released this week." I'm new to this issue, but for those who have been concerned for months, this has to be a relief. I too have been a long-time user of Paragon software, and happily so in the past, and I really would like to continue to support them in the future.

I have removed Hard Disk Manager from my computer, so if someone could put a message in here when they have a working version running on their computer then i may consider downloading it and trying again. It is difficult to see what version is available on the Paragon website.
    Cheers

I have removed Hard Disk Manager from my computer, so if someone could put a message in here when they have a working version running on their computer then i may consider downloading it and trying again. It is difficult to see what version is available on the Paragon website.
    Cheers
    Yes, further to my message that a new software build is expected to be released this week (week of January 26, 2021), I will be installing and testing the new build as soon as it is released, and will be sure to let this thread/conversation know right away.

Thank you skye352

For what it's worth, "Paragon Backup & Recovery 17 CE (Community Edition)" does not seem to have the same "no stick" issue. The interface looks almost identical to HDM17 Advanced, but with less functionality, of course. Also, during backup with BR17 CE, the progress notes do not appear, but that seems like a minor matter! While we are waiting, perhaps BR17 CE is a way to go, especially since it's free.

Cheers
    Hi NavyGuy and all.

NEW BUILD. True to their word, the Paragon folks have released a new build for HDM17 Advanced. The old build was 17.18.0.5549. The NEW build is 17.18.4.5674 . My old version did not alert me to the new build, but I discovered it by checking the download section of my new account area called "ParagonBox". I have done a simple load, change of settings, and close of the software. I also did a test incremental backup, then closed the program and then re-loaded it. It appears that the parameters/settings now STICK. I am so relieved as I have always liked the software. I hope everyone else has the same positive results from the new build. Cheers!

Thanks for the heads up skye352