Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backup configuration doesn't "stick". Changes randomly

Re: Backup configuration doesn't "stick". Changes randomly

i am becoming concerned, also, about company reliability and response, judging from forum questions, from apparently well-versed users.
    i have used several programs, used to use partition magic (DOS, years ago), then to acronis, with backup and partition management, then it got bloated, then to this one, at about version 9, etc, but past couple versions interface, despite being sleek, is not as good as version 15.
    i am able to navigate through, but as per mr. Joey, i am concerned about possible need to move to another product, BUT having had prior experience, i would LIKE to support paragon, if more response is provided. anyway, just my two cents

Rumplestiltskin:

How did you contact Cleverbridge? The email that I received from them does not have a return email that is monitored.

I cannot use the product as shipped. It randomly changes some settings after closing and reopening the application.

To all having this problem with a new purchase.

I Googled Cleverbridge, found a link to return product, clicked the link, filled out their form, included my Cleverbridge order numbers, and had email with refund within hours.

I have found a very viable alternative that costs less and have purchased and installed. 4 systems working reliably.

Sad, but never heard back from Paragon regarding my two orders. Not the way to do business.

Опытный кролик

Чет вспомнилось) Сорри если не в тему..
    Объявление: Ищу подопытного кролика. Опытный кролик.))
    МакиТокиХань

I have the same problem using Version 17.18.0

I have contacted support, awaiting a response that still don't come after 6 days.

I'm a new customer and just bought Paragon HDM advanced, when I see the difficulties to get support and this problem exists at least since mid-December I really think to ask a refund and buy another backup solution...

Patairmax, Macrium Reflect does a good job of backing up and disk imaging.

No feedback from Paragon's support team (except the first automatic email).

I've sent a refund request to Cleverbridge https://support.cleverbridge.com/hc/..._form_id=18434 with the invoice.
    Surprised to Not get the automatic email confirmation just right after. Is it normal ?

I cancelled my support ticket after not receiving any "support". Paragon agreed with me that the lack of support was poor and that i could contact the support manager if i wished. I do not see that as productive and am proceeding without any Paragon programs installed.
    I have yet to see any comments from anyone who is a Paragon employee, do they not contribute to this forum?

Yes, the Paragon support team seems to no longer exist. There's probably a big problem with the compagny....
    It's a pity.

I was sent a PM and answered it but I thought my answer might prove useful for others in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987
    hello, if you can explain the glitch in the other software ou are using, it is appreciated. i am a long time paragon user, but it seems that there is more and more dissatisfaction with them, and i just want a clean, useful, operating program that works.
    thnsk
    I'm using Casper from FSSDEV. There are two issues that can best be described as "mis-informative" but, as long as I know about them, I can live with them.

Casper can do both "cloning" and "differential" backups.

In the "cloning" mode, it does a "smart update"; after the first complete clone (bootable disk copy), it updates that clone every time I insert the external drive (or does it on a schedule I set if I leave the drive connected). The "smart update" takes much less time than a total cloning. All good so far. However, when I look at the app's main screen that lists the "clone job", it says the last backup was "Never". The company says it relies upon Windows Scheduler and has asked me to delete and then reinstall the software. However, I've seen this "display glitch" on two different machines so I suspect it's something in their app that is simply not updating the display of the status. The "smart cloning" is, indeed, taking place.

In the "differential" mode, it makes a non-bootable image of my drive to another disk (I use an external for this), then updates it with all changes that have taken place since that original image was created. As Casper also permits adding a WinPE environment to that disk, it allows a restore from that disk (WinPE boots and the minimal Casper environment knows there's the main image plus the differentials). I've tested that restore function and it also works fine. The "problem" is that the user interface leads one to believe that the 'bootability" of the disk must be added again if you manually run the backup job; the checkbox to do so is checked by default even though the app is aware of the "differential job", If you tell it to run, the job will error because the WinPE environment is trying to be created but it already exists (and can't be overwritten in this mode). Casper tech support advised I UNcheck that checkbox if running the differential manually (and that works). I'll note that letting the backup run automatically as scheduled works perfectly.

Casper takes care of my C: drive backup needs. The fact that it makes bootable clones on an external USB drive is somewhat miraculous as Windows normally doesn't permit that. The differential (to a USB drive) is also bootable but it's strictly a "recovery" disk whereas the clone may also be removed from the eternal case and dropped into your PC as a replacement for the original C: drive.

I also use SyncBackSE from 2brightsparks.com to handle all my other non-bootable backup tasks. SyncBack has some very nice features; it may be configured to ignore the drive letter and use either the unique drive ID or the name you've given the drive. Why is this important? As drive letters may change as disks are mounted, using the drive letter for a source or destination definition can be disastrous. SyncBack eliminates the problem (if you take advantage of the feature for each drive).

I spent 30 years on a Mac and, for almost 14 years, TimeMachine has been the go-to backup software of choice (as the destination drive is bootable and will restore the machine to any backup point). It's free, it works, and multiple destinations may be used as grandfathered backups. For cloning on the Mac, Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner has been perfect. I've found Casper and SyncBackSE to fulfill my need for something line Carbon Copy Cloner. Unfortunately, I've not found any TimeMachine-type implementation for Windows.