Thread: USB hard drive does not appear on list when trying to Restore

USB hard drive does not appear on list when trying to Restore

Hello

I'm trying to restore files from a Paragon backup on an external USB hard drive in NTFS format. When I boot to WinPE, I see the drive on the list, but when I start the Restore process, I do not see the drive on the External Drives list, or indeed, anywhere else. I've also tried another USB hard drive but it doesn't appear either.

Does anyone know how I can make the drive appear? Do I need a .inf file? If so, what sort and where from?

Many thanks in advance for any response.

Re: USB hard drive does not appear on list when trying to Restore

I found the solution myself, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone has the same problem in future.

I noticed that, although the USB hard drive appeared on the initial list, there was no drive letter assigned - just an asterisk (*) appeared. Fortunately, it was possible to assign a drive letter and the drive then appeared when starting the Restore process. To assign a drive letter:

1. Select the Utilities Menu, and the Run Command option.
    2. From the command prompt that appears, type diskpart and press Enter.
    3. Type list volume and press Enter. A list of volumes and their numbers appears.
    4. Type select volume X, where X is the number of the volume you want to assign a drive letter to.
    5. Type assign letter=Y, where Y is the letter that you want to assign to the drive. Don't use a letter that has already been assigned to another drive.
    6. Type exit and leave the command environment.

The drive should now have a letter assigned, and should be available for the Restore process.

Re: USB hard drive does not appear on list when trying to Restore

I would address some professional company that deals with HDDs and data restoring in such a case.