Thread: Does NTFS modify macOS Disk Utility to enable formatting in NTFS?

Does NTFS modify macOS Disk Utility to enable formatting in NTFS?

The title is the question: Does NTFS modify macOS Disk Utility (Catalina) to enable formatting in NTFS? Or, does NTFS offer its own internal method?

I have Windows available under Parallels, but I didn't want to have to launch it for just one basic task and I will be doing this many times. And call me old fashion, but I am not all that trusting of uninstalling things -- so often there are some files or modifications left behind -- so that is why I don't just install it and test it.

Thanks.

Re: Does NTFS modify macOS Disk Utility to enable formatting in NTFS?

Disk Utility can format in NTFS just as macOS can access NTFS read-only -- natively. NTFS for Mac is basically only needed for write-access.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrrh0 View Post
    Disk Utility can format in NTFS just as macOS can access NTFS read-only -- natively. NTFS for Mac is basically only needed for write-access.
    My Catalina 10.15.6 does not offer NTFS in either partitioning or formatting; only APFS, Mac OS Extended, FAT, and ExFAT (with the various case and encryption options and such). If *you* have NTFS, then maybe it was added by Paragon's NTFS? I had NTFS as an option for formatting years ago, but then again, I was in a Windows environment with NTFS, and I would have had Paragon or Tuxera MacFUSE back then. And also, it does not make sense that macOS can format in NTFS yet not write to it.

No.
    Disk Utility is not modified by NTFS for Mac.
    What NTFS for Mac does -- it adds some specific files to your computer -- which are then recognized and used by Disk Utility to format into NTFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    No.
    Disk Utility is not modified by NTFS for Mac.
    What NTFS for Mac does -- it adds some specific files to your computer -- which are then recognized and used by Disk Utility to format into NTFS.
    Thanks. And this is a strange coincidence: I had sent a question to Turtle Wax about their car wash soap called MAX-Power!