Thread: Total Newbie - Backup from Old Computer to New Computer

Total Newbie - Backup from Old Computer to New Computer

Hi everyone!

I am a total newbie - I have minimum knowledge of computers and I've only sparingly used Paragon Backup just to backup my files, and to plan to transfer all my old files into my new computer. My old computer is a Dell 2016 model, with few of its drivers updated, and my new one is a recent HP 2020 model, with all of its drivers updated. Any ideas or precautions as to what to watch out for when I do the transfer (like system file corruption, file conflict, etc.)?

Thanks!

Re: Total Newbie - Backup from Old Computer to New Computer

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Generally, if disks/partitions you decided to backup have file system corruption -- Paragon won't allow to perform any kind of operation unless file system is repaired (you can use CHKDSK for this).

If you need to migrate Windows OS -- it's easier to use 'Copy Partition' to overwrite HP 2020's C: and other system partitions (such as Recovery) with Dell 2016 version. Just make sure not to overwrite HP OEM volumes -- you might need them to restore original HP image.

You can also Backup your Dell 2016 partitions and restore them to HP 2020 (just make sure you select where to restore, and view changes and resulting partition map BEFORE applying the operation -- to make sure you don't accidentally restore the partitions over incorrect ones, or don't accidentally delete some other partitions).

It's suggested to perform this kind of operation from Recovery Media -- it's an isolated environment -- basically separate Windows with HDM installed.
    If you perform this kind of operation using Backup-Restore -- you'll need some media to store the Backup.

Re: Total Newbie - Backup from Old Computer to New Computer

If you're just moving your files from one computer to another why not just use an external USB drive to copy your files onto and then use that to copy them onto the new computer. I don't see any advantage of using any 3d party software to do what you can so easily do manually and avoid any problems. Why complicate what's otherwise a very simple chore?