Thread: Backup & Recovery Can't Find Backup Files

Backup & Recovery Can't Find Backup Files

I've had a problem with Backup & Recovery 17 for a few months now. I use it to perform bi-weekly image backups of my Windows 10 system disk (Disk 0). The backups are saved to external drive M: The backups complete successfully for a week or two, then one day I open the program and one or more of the most recent marks on the timeline have gone orange. The message is
    Not Available
    Description: Failed to find the backup files
    Solution: Check the network path (where this backup is resided) can be reached from this PC or the external storage device is connected

The device is connected, available to all users and the files are there right where Backup & Recovery put them. Today the most recent entry is orange, the two before it are green, all the files are on the same disk!

I started digging around in the program files and I find entries like this in the "jobs.log" file:

################################################## ##############################
    [13904]: JOB_JobHistory_VerifyQuery started, start time: 18.06.2020 18:27:48

[13904]: Opening archive '/1280t Backup Images/Job-202069117645/Job-202069117645_2020-06-16_10-32-32/Job-202069117645_2020-06-16_10-32-32.pfi' of job history 'f67a7ec9-b85e-4599-b232-1597968ca9bb' ... Failed (Result = 0x11120, "F:\BuildAgent\work\4a89ccd83ae3e87\hdmengine\hdms dk\src\stub1\job\job_supp.cpp, line 6547")
    [13904]: Total items validated: 0

It seems to have dropped the letter ("M:") of the drive where the files are located.
    1. Is there any file or database I can edit to add the drive letter back to the file location path?
    2. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

I have completely uninstalled the program, re-installed and recreated the job... no change.

It may just be coincidence, but this only started happening after I (finally) made the Windows 7 -> Windows 10 transition early this year.

Re: Backup & Recovery Can't Find Backup Files

Jobs databases are stored in C:\ProgramData\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 17\storage\jdb. Not sure if you can edit them though -- or whether the product will work correctly afterwards. It's recommended to modify the backup job using HDM17 launcher itself.

If you need to restore these backups, assuming they're not corrupted -- you can try 'Restore from File' feature.

Thanks for the reply. I used "DB Browser for SQLite" to inspect the contents of both .db files. There was nothing in either file that looks like a file path name. In fact, I can't find the job descriptions anywhere in ProgramData or Users. Well hidden or I'm not looking in the right places.

Enough time has passed that the problem files have been removed by the retention policy and things seem to be working normally. Perhaps it was just a Disturbance in the Force.

On trying to find the file made by a 'backup files' run, I find the destination empty and Restore fails to point to an existing backup file (HDM 17). This has happened three times in a row. Since I am a small business person with constant time pressure, you can imagine that I have little choice but to find software where tis functionality works smoothly. Perhaps there is a quick fix for this problem; but this route is for programmer-type persons.
    This message is for your info. No need to reply.