Thread: Entire backup seems corrupted

Entire backup seems corrupted

Hi,

I backed up my 128GB USB 2 days ago, I needed to restore it today, but found the backup the Paragon Backup & Recovery software made, wont restore it due to the error, Failed to import backup, this file is not a backup file.

I then loaded Paragon Hard Drive Manager and tried to mount the .pvhd image and the mounted disk is completely empty with 0's in the entire image!

Does anyone know what has happened? Is there anyway to recover any files from this backup with any other method, or is it lost forever?

Regards,
    Sean

Re: Entire backup seems corrupted

Have you tried "Restore from File"? There is an option to Restore Volumes from any supported backup.

Hi Max
    I have tried the restore from file option, but this is where i get the "Failed to import backup, this is not a backup file" error. I believe the hdd-0.pvhd file or the .pfi files have been corrupted in some way. The hdd-0.pvhd file is only 64kb in size, all of my other backups have that file at least 4mb or larger, so I think the hdd-0.pvhd file is not complete.

What is the hdd-0.pvhd? is it vital to the integrity of the archive? I am trying to find out how to rebuild the .pfi index but I am not sure my version of the software has this ability. I am referring to this article, https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/246)

Thanks for your help.

.PVHD can be 64 kb in size -- it doesn't mean it's corrupted. Actual data is stored in the other files (.pbe and other files). However .PVHD is required and cannot be rebuilt if list.
    To rebuild .PFI, you can use older Paragon product (version 16 and below), or Linux Recovery Media.