Thread: Does Paragon support 4TB SSD drives in Windows 10?

Does Paragon support 4TB SSD drives in Windows 10?

Sorry, I think I should have posted this to the File Systems Driver forum -- cross posting there. Thanks.

Hi,
    I am thinking of buying a Samsung 4TB 860 EVO 4TB SATA III internal drive. Does Paragon Manager 15 suite support this drive and support partitioning it? I read something about having to convert that large a drive to GPT formating for Windows 10. What does this mean? Thanks.
    Last edited by Zaffer; 30.12.19 at 21:08. Reason: might have posted to wrong forum

Re: Does Paragon support 4TB SSD drives in Windows 10?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+gpt%3F

Windows should be installed on the empty GPT disk to be able to create the necessary system partitions from scratch.

If you use contemporary hardware I suppose you use a contemporary OS as well. Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite is not compatible with Windows newer than 1703. You'll need AT LEAST HDM 15 SP5. Most recent HDM 17 recommended.

Hi Banshee,
    Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking of using the 4TB disk for storage only. If I decide to do this, I will certainly upgrade Paragon. Will I be able to use Paragon 18 to prepare this disk for use in my Windows 10 pro machine as storage only? Thanks. (I have an Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM, two 2TB and one TB SSD drives and a 1000 watt power supply.)

Thanks again for your help, Banshee. I decided another 2TB drive would be enough.

Of course you will be able to prepare the 4 TB disk with HDM 18 I suppose. But not at the moment. HDM is still version 17 these days. Even with HDM 17 it's no marvel though.

Anyway, I would recommend to format the 2 TB drive in GPT style as well. It's the state of the art technology in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaffer View Post
    I am thinking of buying a Samsung 4TB 860 EVO 4TB SATA III internal drive. Does Paragon Manager 15 suite support this drive and support partitioning it? I read something about having to convert that large a drive to GPT formating for Windows 10. What does this mean? Thanks.
    For current versions of Windows 10 you should be using HDM 15 SP5 regardless of the drive size. Windows itself can format a 4TB drive as GPT via the Disk Management console. If you try and format it as MBR Windows will split it into two 2TB partitions. GPT is needed for larger ones. I see no reason that Paragon HDM 15 SP5 would have any problem working with GPT format drives as GPT has been around since Windows 7. Even Windows XP could work with GPT drives with special drivers.