Thread: How to create image of boot drive w/o destroying data on destination drive

How to create image of boot drive w/o destroying data on destination drive

Hi,
    I have 2 partitions on my drive C: Windows 10 boot (1.18 TB + 492 MB utility partition), and another partition (652 GB) I would like to move the data from the smaller partition to another drive and expand the boot partition to include the whole drive. Before I do that I would like to make an image of the boot partition for backup in case something goes wrong with the partitioning. I seem to remember making drive and/or partition images with Paragon 15, but with version 17, when I click on Copy Volume or Copy Operating System, I get the message: "Attention! All existing data on the destination disk will be deleted and replaced with volumes containing operating system data!"

How do I make an image of my boot drive or just the boot partition and store it on an external hard drive without destroying the data already on the external drive? Thanks.
    Zaffer

Re: How to create image of boot drive w/o destroying data on destination drive

A hard disk copy overwrites the destination disk, a partition copy requires a sufficient amount of unallocated space.

You need not "Copy volume" or "Copy Operating System" (on the "Disks & volumes" tab), but create a backup - "Backup source" - "Disk/Volumes" - your C: (on the "Backup & recovery" tab).

Will this create a copy that I could use to restore a damaged boot drive? Thanks.
    Zaffer

AW: How to create image of boot drive w/o destroying data on destination drive

It won't create a copy it creates a backup.
    /* Dies ist ein Service Ihres freundlichen Paragon-Support-Teams ;-) / This is a service of your friendly Paragon support team ;-) */

Re: AW: How to create image of boot drive w/o destroying data on destination drive

Thanks for your info everyone, but I'm still confused. How do I create an image, suitable for restoring a damaged boot drive or boot partition, without destroying the data on the destination drive where I am creating the image? Is this impossible? thanks.
    Zaffer

Creating a backup does not threaten existing data on the (external) drive. Just will be added a few files in a new folder. If there would be enough space for the this files.
    Backup = image = archived copy of selected partition(s) (usually several partitions are needed to boot Windows)
    If the boot drive is damaged, it will not be possible to boot from it and run the HDM for recovery, therefore Recovery Media must be created in advance.
    IMHO the operation you planned to increase the system volume to the entire disk is safe, does not threaten anything.

Hi Fireworker, I already have a recovery flash drive, so I'm all set. Thanks.