Thread: Can a disk image span removable external drives?

Can a disk image span removable external drives?

Is it possible to create a disk image/backup of a 4TB drive on two removable 2TB drives (might be called 'disk spanning")?

I use HDM15 (registered version) and also bought the v16 update which I've not found a use for as I still prefer 15 for my needs. But I'm considering installing a 4TB drive that I would want to back up but only have two 2TB drives to back it up to. I would prefer to just image the whole drive rather than going through folders to manually split it up and then manually copy the files to each disk (it's a file storage drive, not my boot drive which is a 500GB M.2 SSD)

I'm looking for a solution that would prompt me with "target storage full, please insert another target volume with sufficient space". Perhaps something other than Paragon is needed to do that? I'm trying to avoid buying a second 4TB drive to use for backups and use the 2TB drives I already own instead.

If needed I could attach the two 2TB drives at the same time. But ideally I would only have to attach one drive at a time.

Thanks to anyone who has the answer.

Happy Holidays! :-)

Re: Can a disk image span removable external drives?

I'm wondering if it might be easier to just partition the 4TB drive into 2x2TB partitions and then I could back up each partition to 2TB drives. The current data drive is actually two 2TB drives in RAID1 but I think I can create the 2 partitions (2TB each) on two 4TB drives in RAID1.