Thread: Restore from USB recovery media key

Restore from USB recovery media key

I am running HDM 16.5. The cpu is a Threadripper 2 and the motherboard is an AsRock Taichi X399 with 64 GB RAM. Windows 10 X64 is installed on a 512 GB NVME SSD. I created a USB restore key using the Win PE option in Recovery Media Builder. I included the latest (version 9.2.0.120) AMD RAID drivers because I have a separate RAID 0 consisting of 3 1TB hard disks. When I created the key (approximately two months ago) it worked properly. All drives were recognized and I could create a backup. Today, I wanted to do some maintenance, so I decided to do it at boot time. HDM was loaded, but the program never finished scanning the drives. The progress visual wheel spun endlessly without any further action. I tried creating a different key, and played around with the UEFI settings, notably CSM on and off. No change. I have tried waiting, in a few cases as long as 30 minutes. I cannot figure out why the boot version of HDM 16.5 will not complete. The only change in the system from when the first key was created was an update to Version 1903 from Version 1809. However if that was the cause of the problem, creating a new key using Recovery Media Builder under the current Windows version should have taken care of it.

I am very cautious, and hate being without an easy route to disaster recovery. Other software seems to be very awkward in regard to creating a bootable recovery key. Can anyone help?

Re: Restore from USB recovery media key

I fixed the problem! I downloaded and installed the latest Win 10 ADK and Win PE from Microsoft, rather than skipping the ADK and using the Win PE version that HDM uses in the media builder. The newly created USB booted and recognized all my drives, perhaps somewhat more quickly than the key did before the problem arose.

Re: Restore from USB recovery media key

Further update. To create a USB key to boot into Paragon HDM 16, download from Microsoft the Windows 10 ADK and Windows 10 PE versions that match the Windows 10 version you have installed. Use that ADK in the Media Builder. DO NOT SELECT UEFI in the Boot Menu when you wish to boot from the key. (It is possible that not all of these steps are necessary for your computer, but this is the only way I could create a USB key that works.)