Thread: HDM 17 can't restore old backups without WinPE

HDM 17 can't restore old backups without WinPE

I have been a long-time user of Paragon products without complaint until now.

A few complaints I have been reading is that HDM 17 cannot restore backups that it has not done itself i.e. older backups or backups made with earlier versions of HDM. Instead, you have to boot with a recovery disk.

This really is inconvenient when I just need to browse the contents an older backup, looking for one or two files. I don't wish to reboot the PC into WinPE just for this...

Ealier versions of HDM allowed you to import the .pfi of backups that it has no knowledge of - I can't see the benefit of dropping a very useful feature(??).

Could the importing of backups into the "regular" HDM 17 be returned please? Why is it no longer possible to import an old backup anyway? Seems a very strange decision. Just curious.

Thanks.

Re: HDM 17 can't restore old backups without WinPE

I have a similar question. I have two computers running HDM 17, both backing up to a network drive. One of the computers has stopped working, and while waiting for parts to repair it, I was trying to figure out how to restore a few data files using the other computer.

Is there any way to do this?

I agree this is ridiculous

Not being able to restore from old backups while in my regular Windows is a deal breaker.
    I regret purchasing this upgrade I my opinion it is a step backwards from the previous version.
    The user interface is not intuitive and the features that were removed were one of the main reasons I used Paragon backup over some of its competitors.
    I was happy with Paragon Backup and Restore 16 and should have left well enough alone. I wish I could get a refund for my purchase of HDM17.
    If Paragon doesn't fix this, I will probably move to a different backup solution.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCG48 View Post
    Not being able to restore from old backups while in my regular Windows is a deal breaker. .... If Paragon doesn't fix this, I will probably move to a different backup solution.
    I agree it sucks but I bought the upgrade anyway to support the company (they have to sell something ..). For now I'm still using 16 until there's a compelling reason to start using 17. The overly simplified UI is a step backwards IMO for folks who are not beginners, and the lack of backwards compatibility within a Windows 10 UI is ridiculous. I can only hope they can fix v17 if they want to make any money with it. Not everyone is a charitable as me.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebow View Post
    I have been a long-time user of Paragon products without complaint until now.

A few complaints I have been reading is that HDM 17 cannot restore backups that it has not done itself i.e. older backups or backups made with earlier versions of HDM. Instead, you have to boot with a recovery disk.

This really is inconvenient when I just need to browse the contents an older backup, looking for one or two files. I don't wish to reboot the PC into WinPE just for this...

Ealier versions of HDM allowed you to import the .pfi of backups that it has no knowledge of - I can't see the benefit of dropping a very useful feature(??).

Could the importing of backups into the "regular" HDM 17 be returned please? Why is it no longer possible to import an old backup anyway? Seems a very strange decision. Just curious.

Thanks.
    Yep - Each version of Paragon get WORSE

Thanks for your very constructive contribution. Worth to apply to a forum. I'm really looking forward to your next postings. By the way - I'm sure you tried the most recent version of HDM 17 regarding to the above mentioned problem before you wrote your substantial comment?

is this resolved, or is this still an issue? I have v16.5, I have v17 (but 17 is not installed), I use paragon to explore prior backups, so will not install 17 until this is changed. thanks
    ALSO, can I install v17 in parallel with v16.5?