Thread: Hard Disk Manager 17.4 - "Copy Disk" vs. "Find and Copy OS"

Hard Disk Manager 17.4 - "Copy Disk" vs. "Find and Copy OS"

What are the differences between the "Copy Disk" command and the "Find and Copy OS" command?

I own a copy of Hard Disk Manager 17.4, which I installed on a Lenovo Thinkpad T480 running Windows 10 (1903). The T480 has a 500 GB mechanical hard disk drive installed. I connected a 500 GB M.2 SSD to the T480 using a USB-C enclosure. I ran the "Copy Disk" command (to copy the mechanical HDD inside the T480 to the SSD inside the USB enclosure), which completed without any error messages. I ran this command with the options selected to "keep disk layout" and "startup from the destination disk." However, I did not run the "Find and Copy OS" command. After doing this, I shut down, removed the mechanical HDD and replaced it with the SSD. However, the system would not boot from the SSD.

Is there a material difference between the "Copy Disk" command and the "Find and Copy OS" command? Do I need to run both to clone my existing HDD? Or should I run only the "Find and Copy OS" command to clone the existing HDD and make the SSD bootable?

I have read the manual (http://download.paragon-software.com...Manager_17.pdf) searching for the answers to the questions above, but it is not clear to me. The only reference to "Copy Disk" in the manual is in the section on "Migrating VM from VMware vSphere to Microsoft Hyper-v.

I have been a Paragon user for over ten years. I've owned at least a half dozen predecessors of HDM 17. I have to say that the user interface in previous versions might not have been as pretty, but they sure were clearer and free of ambiguity.

Re: Hard Disk Manager 17.4 - "Copy Disk" vs. "Find and Copy OS"

I am having similar challenges. I see that nobody has responded to you. I am migrating my 1TB drive contents to a 3TB new disk. I have tried OS copy and disk copy and I keep getting a Paragon fault with a program termination. Support told me to run chkdsk on the source disk and I did with no errors. I submitted a ticket 6 weeks ago and I have still not resolved this problem. I am starting from the start once again to see if I can 1) copy the environment and 2) boot from the new disk.

Re: Hard Disk Manager 17.4 - "Copy Disk" vs. "Find and Copy OS"

"Find and copy OS" only copies OS partitions. It might leave other partitions behind -- which might not be an option if you have a laptop and would like to preserve its OEM recovery volumes, for example.
    It's always safer to Copy Disk unless specifically required.