Thread: difficulty making legacy bootable usb

difficulty making legacy bootable usb

Hi

I am making some rescue media from a windows 10 machine.

I installed the windows ADK and WinPE addon.

I ran the paragon hard disk partitioning program and picked the rescue media option, and pointed it to that ADK directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10 and I made the ISO and wrote it with Rufus.

But the computer I will be running the USB from doesn't support UEFI. It's just plain legacy mode only.. like a BIOS. So the USB doesn't work from it.

Maybe if I could set up the paragon rescue media with an early WinPE then that'd work but i'm not sure how.

How can I make a legacy bootable USB with paragon partitioning software on it?

Thanks

Re: difficulty making legacy bootable usb

I suggest you look at my post on creating a bootable USB key for running HDM. I do not think you need an ISO. Download from Microsoft and install the ADK and Windows PE versions that match your Windows 10 version. Run Recovery Media Builder in HDM and tell it to use the ADK that was downloaded. There might not be a UEFI on the key if your computer does not have one. If it does, select the non-UEFI entry for the key when you use the computer's boot menu. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    I suggest you look at my post on creating a bootable USB key for running HDM. I do not think you need an ISO. Download from Microsoft and install the ADK and Windows PE versions that match your Windows 10 version. Run Recovery Media Builder in HDM and tell it to use the ADK that was downloaded. There might not be a UEFI on the key if your computer does not have one. If it does, select the non-UEFI entry for the key when you use the computer's boot menu. Good luck.

no idea what you mean re non-uefi entry for the key!!

but I think I sorted it out by when I used Rufus to make the bootable USB from the ISO, this time I chose non-UEFI(within Rufus), then it made it fine.

Glad you got it to work. My computer motherborad has a UEFI, so any bootable media that is created with it has UEFI and BIOS options in the boot menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Glad you got it to work. My computer motherborad has a UEFI, so any bootable media that is created with it has UEFI and BIOS options in the boot menu
    bootable media doesn't have an option just like a cable doesn't have an option, The motherboard firmware, the UEFI, has the option.

The motherboard firmware has options related to bootable media, but that doesn't mean that the bootable media has the option