Thread: what is the file system?

what is the file system?

Hello --- I had a few desktop NAS devices. In each case they been running non-stop for years. One died and I wanted to try to get the data off it it if possible. In most cases these devices run some variant of Linux, so the filesystem would be ext? or some other common filesystem that Linux would normally use.

Using the Linux drivers for windows, I was able to copy data from the first NAS. The second was seems to be more problematic

The Linux drivers were not able to find any filesystems on on disk.

I used another tool and it too could not find any common filesystem on disk, but some more scans found it to marked "Linux Raid" --- which is not clear
    to me, since any RAID config would need 2 or more drives

So, is there anyway to mount this drive? Thanks

Re: what is the file system?

You should have documents/manual shipped with your NAS? I would expect to find information like the filesystem there.

But an "unknown" filesystem can be an unreadable filesystem as well. Linux RAID is supposed to be LVM (Logical Volume Manager) which is a kind of software RAID. Don't know if Paragon's drivers are capable of making that readable/writable.

Re: what is the file system?

Hello -- thanks for your reply ... sorry these self-contained 1 drive NAS boxes are "back box" the vendor does not say anything about the drive