Thread: How to mount a backup image in v16, without the original job?

How to mount a backup image in v16, without the original job?

Hi, it all hit the fan and I'm needing to recover my files.

I was able to recover some files using recovery, but many are completely empty (I think that is because it encountered 1 bitlockered file).

What I'd like to do is mount the image. The v16 manual tells you to go to "My Backups", but of course that is empty because my original computer where I did the backup job is FUBAR.

So, can you mount a backup image without the original job? I am using the paid version.

Thanks

Re: How to mount a backup image in v16, without the original job?

Same problem with HDM V17 Advanced. In HDM 15 you could start it up, go to the Archives tab, make sure Show partitions was selected, select a partition, and then click Mount Archive. Now it seems, judging from the HDM 17 manual, you can only do this when you boot from WinPE recovery media, not from the software installed on your computer's hard disk, although I haven't tried this yet. This is probably also the case with HDM 16. Seems like a bit of a downgrade to me. I find this function extremely useful. If anyone knows a way of mounting a partition in an existing archive using HDM 17 I would love to know.

Re: How to mount a backup image in v16, without the original job?

Please refer to the chapter "Restore Tasks" starting from page 33 of the most recent manual. Open the manual from inside the software, don't use a downloaded copy. On page 39 you will find "Restoring from an Isolated Backup Image", on page 40 "Mounting a Backup Image". On the screenshots you will see a tab "Restore from file".

BUT: The linked manual is a little ahead of time. These descriptions are not valid for the actual version 17.4. They will be available in 17.10.X which will show up within the next days. Then HDM 17 will be in a state we supporters are dreaming of since 17.2.3.

Mounting an available backup is already possible, but not the import of an archive created with older software or after loss of the archive database. That's only possible from the WinPE boot medium in 17.4. In the upcoming service pack it will be possible within the running Windows.
    Your Paragon Support Team