Thread: Restoring a backup. Can't access backup files.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Restoring a backup. Can't access backup files.

My laptop failed. Before I sent it back to HP for repair, I pulled the SSD and used an external adapter to make a complete backup using HDM 17 advanced (purchased). The unit was returned with a fresh windows install so I decided to just reload SW and enjoy the clean install. I am having trouble getting HDM to "see" the backup files. I did the BU with a different machine obviously and have since moved the files to my server. I don't see any way to point the restore to a BU it doesn't have in its backup list. My plan was to write the entire backup to an external drive (since I did an entire disk BU--not the way to go it seems). How do I recover from this mess? The knowledge base article regarding this is gibberish and does not correspond to my 17 SW at all (probably why it only gets 1 star ratings). I would expect to just be able to go to the BU file and click, but none of the file types are associated with HDM. Pretty lazy developers.

BTW-I experimented with a folder BU to see how that works. When I went to restore (to a different location) it said the target volume would be deleted and replaced. Surely they can't mean that but I did not proceed with the restore. Is this a bad translation from German??? I'm not feeling very good about my purchase....

Should I also submit this as a support request? I figure the forum would be quicker.
    Last edited by AlH; 23.06.19 at 07:33.