Thread: Cloning boot drive on dual boot system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cloning boot drive on dual boot system

Having this system

Ryzen 2600X@3.8Ghz, ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS, 2x16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Dual-X w Boost 3GB, Kfa2 GTX 1070 EX 8GB, Crucial MX300 275GB (Windows 10Pro), Crucial MX500 500GB (Kubuntu 18.04 LTS), TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB, Fractal Design Meshify C, Corsair TXM 750W 80+ Gold, LG 29" 29wk500-p ultrawide 2560x1080

with two SSD, the primary with Win10 and grub2 and the second with Kubuntu.
    The first one is almost full, and wanting to upgrade the boot SSD in my ignorance I didn't know what can create problems with grub2. Here my current options

• New 1TB NVMe, clone using Paragon Drive Copy Pro there the primary SSD with Win and grub2, hoping all is working the same as before
    • New 256GB NVMe + new 1TB SATA SSD, clone primary SSD on the new bigger SATA, use StoreMI (cost free from AMD) and let him make his work in shifting most used data on the faster NVMe.

Can't make my mind on what solution can be the safest, since I didn't want to re-install anything, due the fact as beginner cost me days in trial and error before being able to achieve current status.

Re: Cloning boot drive on dual boot system

Drive Copy Pro can't be not better than 15. That's not working with the recent Win 10 versions. So you would need an up-to-date Hard Disk Manager.

But anyway even that software is not suitable for your scenario. HDM is Windows software. Of course it can copy extFS 234 or HFS partitions. HDM does only copy partitions. Means, anything outside partitions like an MBR would not be copied. After a copy of partitions or a disk HDM searches for Windows systems and creates a MBR and BCD on the base of the retrieved Windowses. Any other OS will be ignored. You will end up with one or more well booting Windows systems but without your Linux. Any grub pointers in the MBR will be overwritten.

Thanks this is really what I wanted to know.

Arrived my new NVMe SSD I was trying to clone the old one.
    The operations seems to being successful, but after that was required to reboot and when the Paragon engine try to do his work at boot show some error I'm not able to read since the screen disappear to fast.
    This is current status on the new drive
    Annotation 2019-12-17 090933.JPG
    There is any way to access a log file to better understand? Using Paragon Drive Copy 15 Professional, not sure if I need to upgrade to a newer release. Tried to install latest demo but give me an error about Universal Image Mounter.