Thread: HDM Recognizes Partition Format and Size While Windows Explorer Doesn't. Why?

HDM Recognizes Partition Format and Size While Windows Explorer Doesn't. Why?

Hello,
    I'll give you the run down so we're on the same page while I'm hoping not to piss anyone off in the process.
    I run 10 Home version 1709 OS Build 16299.1087
    I have been in I.T. for 25 years. I started at 37 as an MCSE in 1995. I've primarily been in the troubleshooting and repair end of the IT game.
    I've seen all kinds of crazy crap but the craziest thing to date is what I'm dealing with now.
    First, I hate frickin 10! With that off my chest...
    I started noticing a small anomaly about 4 months ago when drive space started missing on my main OS's 1 TB Drive. I thought that maybe it was me. You know 30 Gigs here and 50 Gigs there and I was saving a lot of videos and images, you know from FB and YT so I wasn't to concerned at that time but... about a week ago I opened the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) and it read 30 Gigs Free Space on my OS's 1 Terabyte Drive. It dropped down to 21.4 before the days was out. Today it started out with 21.4 Gigs Free Space now it's up to 26.81 Gigs a minute ago.
    I had a data recovery business for almost a decade. I knew that if what I was seeing was true... then my MFT was in danger of being blown. But technically speaking...The MFT should have already been blown! And then I'd be looking at a data recovery, annnd... having to have "someone else do it" because I'd be without my machine. Which would have sucked big time because I run an HP Pavilion 23-q112 All-In-One (AOI) with the recovery and reinstall software on-board the Main Drive. See my dilemma?
    I've never ever seen this happen in all the years I've been working on computers and servers. I looked at the Windows Computer Management Snap-In (diskmgmt.msc) and it indicated what Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) did.
    That there was 918 Gigs Used and 26.81 Gigs Free. So I immediately started to transfer files from my Pictures and Videos Directories (Folders) on the C:\ Drive to my external F:\ Drive. It was about 300 Gigs. After the transfer I reopened Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) and it's still showing the same 918 Gigs Used with only 26.81 Gigs Free Space. So I went looking for 3rd Party Partition Management software to validate the Windows Explorer info.
    I went through a bunch of your competitors. They all showed the C:\ drive partition as either "unformatted, Bad or Other". Not one of them recognized my main partition... and then I bumped into Paragon. I was completely discouraged after many hour but I figure...WTF, I've tried everything else. I may as well give Paragon's software a shot.
    I initially tried downloading your Partition Manager 15 Professional but, the link directed me to HDM 16.5. So I downloaded it, installed it and ran your HDM v16.5. Low and behold...HDM 16.5 recognized the Drive's partition. And I'm talking about everything from the format (NTFS) to the correct Used and Free Space on my OS's drive. I was elated but then I noticed that HDM 16.5 wasn't recognizing my External drives of E:\ and F:\ So now that you're caught up...one of my questions is this..."what do you think is going on..with Windows?" I've attached several screen caps. HDM 16.5, Windows Computer Management Snap-In, and one of the Competitors with their name removed.
    If you'll notice HDM 16.5 doesn't recognized my 2 external drives but Windows Computer Management Snap-In (diskmgmt.msc) does and you're competition does. This is a bizarre situation, but I'm like the canary in the cage and I frequently bring issues to tech people even before they know it's an issue. Notice how the Computer Management Snap-In (diskmgmt.msc) and your Competitor can read the External Drives but HDM 16.5 doesn't! And notice that the Computer Management Snap-In (diskmgmt.msc) recognizes the C:\ drive but doesn't recognize the correct values of the Used and Free Space but, HDM 16.5 does recognized the correct values of the Used and Free Space.
    So what do you think. Quite the puzzle huh!?
    I can't let go of this until I know what caused it, how to fix it.
    I'll continue my "WTF Is Going On? quest into the Craplands of Google's Search as I look forward your input.
    Thank You for your patience and consideration
    Best Regards, StageMan

Attachment 735Attachment 732 Attachment 734
    StageMan

Re: HDM Recognizes Partition Format and Size While Windows Explorer Doesn't. Why?

How come my screen caps didn't post? I must have done something wrong in posting them, but I can see them attached when I go into my area where I drafted the post. Maybe I should delete it and repost it.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by StageMan; 12.04.19 at 01:45.
    StageMan

Re: HDM Recognizes Partition Format and Size While Windows Explorer Doesn't. Why?

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Please try using this tool: https://windirstat.net/
    It should help you see what's occupying your disk space.