Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDM 17 Advanced Lockups and Bluescreens

HDM 17 Advanced Lockups and Bluescreens

I currently use HDM 15 Pro and also used 14 and 12. HDM has always been a solid application. I recently had a client buy HDM 17 Adv, assuming it was the same great product but i'm having doubts. The client is running Win 8.1 Pro x64. We installed HDM 17 Adv and ran a backup of his OS drive. It just runs for 30 minutes or so, locks up and blue screens the system. We completely reinstalled and get the same results.

I'm here at the forum because i never heard back from the support ticket i submitted at least a week ago. I have 2 clients waiting on me to find a disk imaging solution. I'm very hesitant to recommend HDM. It just doesn't work. I use HDM 15 daily and it's been rock-solid but i'm searching for alternatives for my clients. I'd like to find something as great as Paragon's HDM 15.

Any ideas on what would cause these bluescreens. The hard drives have no issues, they work great. In my years of using HDM i've never needed support, is there any support for HDM?

Re: HDM 17 Advanced Lockups and Bluescreens

1. On Windows 8.1 HDM 15 should work fine. Did you try HDM 15 on that particular machine? Does it run without bluescreens?

2. Which ticket number did you get? Can't find a corresponding ticket by any part of your e-mail address.

Anyway please check the drives to backup with "chkdsk /f /r" according to "How to use CHKDSK".
    Your Paragon Support Team

Like i said, HDM 15 is rock solid, i use it everyday. It's what i use on my work and home machines. 15 isn't the problem 17 is. I recommended HDM to a couple clients that needed a imaging tool based on my personal experience with 12,14,15. In HDM 17 Adv, I didn't realize the GUI is missing half the options i see in HDM 15 Pro. When i try to do a simple imaging of the OS drive it just locks up. I ran CHKDSK last time i was at the location and it tested fine. I didn't install my copy of 15 because i didn't think i could. I use 15 Pro on my systems running Win 8.1 Pro.

The user i'm helping with this is NOTED AND REMOVED. I had him recently buy 16 but a few weeks later 17 came out. So we requested an upgrade to 17. 17 is what we have been working with.

Why am i waiting for a moderator, i didn't yesterday?

Administrator

Because you used a valid e-mail link. Don't believe your customer would be lucky with that?

Administrator

Unfortunately I am not able to find a support request with that e-mail?

Compared to HDM 16 HDM 17 is much closer to HDM 15. Lots of options that were removed in HDM 16 because the HDM 16 crew judged them obsolete are back in HDM 17. New GUI, of course, other logic. You may want to have a look on the manual. Several options like the File Transfer Wizard are only available on the Linux RCD. So which particular options are you missing?

That HDM 15 is rock solid in contrary to HDM 17 would be more obvious if HDM 15 does not create a bluescreen on the same system. That is what my colleague asked for in his point 1.

Quote Originally Posted by analogscott View Post
    I currently use HDM 15 Pro and also used 14 and 12. HDM has always been a solid application. I recently had a client buy HDM 17 Adv, assuming it was the same great product but i'm having doubts. The client is running Win 8.1 Pro x64. We installed HDM 17 Adv and ran a backup of his OS drive. It just runs for 30 minutes or so, locks up and blue screens the system. We completely reinstalled and get the same results.
    I've been using HDM 6.5 for some time now on two computers without significant issues. Have recently upgraded to HDM17 & now uninstalled that due to errors and lack of features in comparison to the earlier version. IMO, HDM17 is not ready for use and needs some work (a waste of money for now)- hopefully this will appear in future updates. Issues include:

* Runs faster, looks prettier but important features are missing from HDM16.5 & that includes the diagnostic and disk repair features that have saved my computers a couple of times in the past. HDM17 is far more stripped back in this respect and would hope the more advanced repair features return soon in what claims to be an 'advanced' product.

* Ongoing problem: refuses to create a recovery USB correctly (both computers) and reports errors every time; gave up on that.

* The incremental backup options are not as clear nor as full featured as HDM16.5, or at least appear that way. A better update would have been to take the same conventions and features as the version before, then to improve and/or expand upon that. v17 looks as though it has had too much influence by the marketing department: all about the UI & far less about the power /functionality.

* Speaking of recovery disk: perhaps about time that HDM17 included a standalone boot menu option /Win image that *did not* require a USB disk (like say, EaseUS Todo Backup and Macrium Reflect).

For now, HDM17 is a disappointing & rather useless upgrade; have rolled back to HDM16.5.
    PC1: Dell T7910, dual Xeons, Win10Pro 1809, 64GB. 1080Ti, LG 34UM95 & BenQ SW2700PT, MiniMon 4k. TB2, RME UFX+, UAD-2 PCIe, FaderPort 16. PC2: Dell 9575, i7-8705G, Win10Pro, 16GB/1TB, RX Vega M GL. Apps: Nuendo, Pro Tools, Resolve Studio.

AW: HDM 17 Advanced Lockups and Bluescreens

Der HDM17 ist beim BackUp auf mein NAS mehr als doppelt so schnell wie HDM16.5 oder seine Konkurrenten. Flexibler und robuster ist aber der HDM16.5. Also habe ich beide installiert und verwende je nach Zweck entweder den HDM17 oder den HDM16.5. Blue Screens hatte ich mit Procmon.exe aus der Sysinternals Suite, wenn dieser den Speicher zum Überlaufen brachte, mit Ashampoo Uninstaller (war eine .dll) und mit MS Edge (mir unklar).

Not sure what that means, i don't speak German, so i can't reply to it.

I'm stuck. I sent the logs HDM support asked for via email. I haven't heard anything. I have also sent two more replies asking for any ideas.

You asked me to install my copy of HDM15 to see what happens but in this thread you never assured me that my copy of 15 won't stop working properly on the system i have it currently installed and rely on daily.

I'm about to apologize to the two clients for recommending HDM and personally refund them. It's been months and i've run out of time to keep dragging this on with them.

AW: HDM 17 Advanced Lockups and Bluescreens

Sorry for using German above, here my comment in English:
    The HDM17 is more than twice as fast with the back-up on my NAS compared to HDM16.5. or its competitors. But more flexible and more robust is the HDM16.5. So I have both programs installed and I use either the HDM17 or the HDM16.5 depending on the purpose. I had blue screens with procmon.exe from the Sysinternals suite, when it overflowed the memory, also with Ashampoo Uninstaller (the cause was a .dll) and also with MS Edge (I do not know why).