Quote Originally Posted by analogscott View Post
I currently use HDM 15 Pro and also used 14 and 12. HDM has always been a solid application. I recently had a client buy HDM 17 Adv, assuming it was the same great product but i'm having doubts. The client is running Win 8.1 Pro x64. We installed HDM 17 Adv and ran a backup of his OS drive. It just runs for 30 minutes or so, locks up and blue screens the system. We completely reinstalled and get the same results.
I've been using HDM 6.5 for some time now on two computers without significant issues. Have recently upgraded to HDM17 & now uninstalled that due to errors and lack of features in comparison to the earlier version. IMO, HDM17 is not ready for use and needs some work (a waste of money for now)- hopefully this will appear in future updates. Issues include:

* Runs faster, looks prettier but important features are missing from HDM16.5 & that includes the diagnostic and disk repair features that have saved my computers a couple of times in the past. HDM17 is far more stripped back in this respect and would hope the more advanced repair features return soon in what claims to be an 'advanced' product.

* Ongoing problem: refuses to create a recovery USB correctly (both computers) and reports errors every time; gave up on that.

* The incremental backup options are not as clear nor as full featured as HDM16.5, or at least appear that way. A better update would have been to take the same conventions and features as the version before, then to improve and/or expand upon that. v17 looks as though it has had too much influence by the marketing department: all about the UI & far less about the power /functionality.

* Speaking of recovery disk: perhaps about time that HDM17 included a standalone boot menu option /Win image that *did not* require a USB disk (like say, EaseUS Todo Backup and Macrium Reflect).

For now, HDM17 is a disappointing & rather useless upgrade; have rolled back to HDM16.5.