Thread: [SEVERE BUG] ExtFS for Windows changed all my files permissions !!!!!

Thumbs down [SEVERE BUG] ExtFS for Windows changed all my files permissions !!!!!

Hi, I am trying ExtFs for Windows to access my Linux partitions.
    With it I have mounted my partition as read-only.
    When later I have rebooted my Linux OS I have discovered that all my files are read-only (with the 'write' bit off)
    I had to fix all my files by doing
    Code:
    for p in $(rpm -qa) ; do
       rpm --restore $p ;
    done
    chmod -R u+w /home
    Please FIX the software, which for me is USELESS because it changes my files' permissions.

EDIT: after I fixed my files I booted again in Windows and mounted my home partition read-only.
    Now I have rebooted in Linux and AGAIN the files' permissions are read-only.
    Last edited by a.ster; 10.03.19 at 15:02. Reason: tested twice

Re: [SEVERE BUG] ExtFS for Windows changed all my files permissions !!!!!

I can confirm this. I mounted an Ubuntu 18.04 Ext4 partition in Windows 10 as read only using Paragon Linux FIlesystem for Windows. Each time I do this, when I later boot into Linux, all files are changed in the file system to read only. I double checked that this is not a mounting issue or something with Windows fast boot (which I have disabled). Your software does really change all file permissions on the disk, and this with a read-only mount.

Also confirmed. Mounted EXT4 partitions as read-only thinking this would prevent any corruption. What a joke! Went back to Linux and could not start desktop environment because everything had become read-only. Had to restore root partition from backup and am still finding random directories on another partition that have become read-only. I wish I would have found this before I bought it. This software is seriously defective and it seems that nobody cares. Uninstalled it. Not taking any chances with it again.

I also hit this bug recently. How can anybody rely on this software when it changes a supposedly readonly filesystem? There were no updates since this bug was reported. Not even an acknowledgement from Paragon.

same issue for me, it ruined all the folder permissions and groups

Same here, fortunately for me it changed premissions in home folder only.
    But still very disappointing. Please fix.

I find it terribly unsettling that this year-old thread detailing numerous reports of a catastrophic flaw in this product has no official response from the development team or company representative. Even a simple acknowledgment that they are aware of the issue and progress report on their intended fix would be better than pure silence...

Yes me too. After I mount my drive in Windows and read some files in home folder, I can't boot into Linux Mint which will report .ICEauthority write error because the Write permission of home folder is turned off. Then I have to reboot into recover mode and type:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod u+w <home-folder>
    After login, I found the write permission of "~/.local" folder and sub-folders are corrupted, which causes many applications to report permission error. So I have to:
    chmod -R u+w ~/.local
    And I found some folders may gain o+w accidentally.