Thread: Bitlocked Disk Copy

Bitlocked Disk Copy

I have a Bitlocked 250GB hard drive for work. I want to clone the 250GB drive to a blank 500GB drive. I am not allowed to decrypt the drive nor do I have means (meaning the recovery keys). I am having trouble confirming if the sector by sector copy of the whole bitlocked drive will work. Can someone confirm this works before I have to find out the hard way?

Back story:
    My IT department gave me a new computer that was supposed to have 500GB drive. Instead, they gave me a 250GB hard drive. I didn't realize this and they didn't realize this until several days of setup of the new computer was completed. They told me they didn't have a procedure for cloning drives. UGH!!!! I went through the approval process and found that there isn't security issue related to cloning the a encrypted drive sector by sector, however my IT department doesn't want to mess with this. They also don't want to decrypt the drive to clone it. The way they want to handle this is to reformat and start over. UGH again!! In the past, I copied an encrypted drive sector by sector and it worked fine. However, it wasn't bitlocker. Therefore, I am not sure if the sector by sector copy will work for a bitlocked drive. Your thoughts here are greatly appreciated.

Re: Bitlocked Disk Copy

I did a test.

I fully encrypted a USB3 16GB drive. I then copied it using Pargon Backup and Recovery 15 to a new drive of the same size. It worked fine. The drive was copied without decryption. That is a start. Copying a boot drive might be more complicated.

Nevermind. The sector by sector copy WORKS!! With 2 SSD's it took 15 minutes to copy a 250GB drive to a 500GB drive. Worked great!!! Thank you paragon!

I am adding to this thread since my issue is similar, though somewhat different.

I am trying to clone a bitlocered SSD drive to its twin for backup purposes. I am used to an older version of Paragon Hard Disk Manager and recently upgraded to Version 17. When I boot from the Windows PE Recovery CD, I am not finding the sector-by-sector (aka Raw) copy option. In fact, there is no option to copy this SSD at all.

Can someone describe where the sector-by-sector option is found in this version?

Support seems to think that I must turn off encryption first but I never had to do that in earlier versions and EASUS and AOMEI both claim to be able to back up such a drive while still encrypted, so I am sure Paragon has the capability somewhere once I can find it.

Thanks.