Thread: Can't perform initial backup

Can't perform initial backup

I have a newly installed Windows 10 machine, and have installed Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 Free. I have read good things, and will consider paying for the product once it proves useful, but using initial install of Free now.

I created an "On Demand" backup job, of the whole system. I set the destination to a network drive running on a UNIX machine at home, exported filesystem via samba 4. The job starts, and I can see it writing a few GB to the filesystem on the UNIX machine, but eventually it deletes the data on that drive, and reports "Error encountered" in the application on the windows machine.

I can't see anywhere where it gives detailed information about what went wrong. Where can I find out what is going wrong, and then I can try to find a solution.

Thanks!

Re: Can't perform initial backup

Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 Free has not been updated for almost two years. I recommend that you use the Paragon Hard Disk Manager 16.5 Basic, it is also free and has more functionality.

Thank you for that advice, but it seems not to help. I uninstalled Backup & Recovery, and installed Hard Disk Manager 16.5 Basic. Unfortunately, the same situation occurs. It will proceed with the backup for a couple of minutes, creating a couple/few GB of data on the network volume, then delete the partial job on the network drive and report it has failed in the app on the Windows machine.

Showing more details only indicates "A Windows specific network error has occurred," and the details show no Error source, and an Error code: 0x3b

It is always the same place in the process, so I think it's not a network "error" so to speak. But it may be that the software is attempting some action on the network volume that is not working. However, without more information I don't know how to help diagnose that.

Last edited by fireworker; 03.02.19 at 23:28.

Thanks for that link, @fireworker. The suggestion in that article mentions trying too copy large files outside of Paragon. After transferring 3 and 9 GB files onto the machine, I am seeing sporadic drops in transfer rate using Windows Explorer, and in one case it did fail producing a similar error to the one Paragon had been showing.

I will attempt to get copies working reliably in Windows Explorer first, then come back to this.