Thread: Paragon Hot Swapping?

Question Paragon Hot Processing?

Hello there, i just wanted to know if this older method is still available to Paragon Backup or Paragon Hard Disk Manager. Respectively if there's a way to force switch into this mode instead of VSS (since I'm having serious performance issues with VSS which I'm not able to sort out). As I remember HP did process the volume quickly, but in latest versions of Paragon software I can't find the option anywhere, neither the HP driver is offered to install, which is pity as VSS is not always available.
    Last edited by Aloha; 03.01.19 at 07:02.

Re: Paragon Hot Swapping?

Ofcourse I thought Hot Processing, not Hot Swapping, and the service exact name is HotCore Driver (not present even in HDM15 as referred here).

I wonder if I could install the driver from separate package?

Administrator

The HotCore Driver is not installed by default. Please do a "Change" installation in "Control Panel => Programs and Features" and add the driver by checking the respective box. This will work for all versions before SP5. Paragon Hot Processing is not implemented anymore in HDM 15 SP5 (build 10.1.25.1137) and the 16/16.5 versions.

Build 10.1.25.1137 is the one I try to use for HP, and you're right the installer doesn't offer the HotCore option for [modify].
    But for some mystery, the Hot Processing tab is available (possibly as residual installed by an earlier version?).

Anyway even having HP selected, the backup script always uses VSS writer, so the question is if I can anyhow direct (or rather force) the script to use Hot Processing. The issue is very similar to https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...essing.361088/

As a side question, why is Hot Processing no more offered?

Administrator

If you have a script running you need to write a new one while the options are saved with it. Wether you create a new script or you change approx. line 29 an 31

from
    hotbackup never
    vss2hbswitch off

to
    hotbackup lockimpossible
    vss2hbswitch on

Obviously the hotcore is automatically installed with SP5. SP5 is the first program our developers used the WiX installer environment for instead of MSI. The WiX installer does not seem to offer anything else but intall/uninstall, no Change or Repair options.

Your remark is right/ Tried the Backup to VD wizard => script contains global settings but not reflecting actual Hot Processing preferences and Retention wizard to VD wizard even doesnot store global settings at all, so having to edit the script manually with your above values.

But I ran the modified script for test and the Hot Processing is not activated though (at least regarding the launcher console which clearly tells VSS is used)

Hot Processing => not activated even when initiating backup by UI wizard

It means HotCore is
    a) ignored (not supported anymore by current version)
    b) broken or not working

Btw. in BioNtLog.txt is record

HotPatIoCtl 0x00224124,
    Hotpat driver is not available: 0xC0000034.

which may be related.

I deactivated the VSS services and despite of switching on the hotcore my system requested a restart. So hotcore does not work or is not implemented with HDM 15 Pro SP5.