Thread: Recovery Media Builder USB

Recovery Media Builder USB

I am using the Paragon Backup & Recovery Program 16 Free. Made my backup. Now i want to create a bootable USB stick to recover and restore in the future if needed.
    Followed the instructions and ran the Recovery Media Builder (RMB) to place the boot environment and recovery software on the US stick. Boot to the USB stick and it doesnt work. Instead I get a blue screen with mouse but nothing else.
    Next, repeated the process but this time used the option to use the Windows ADK/WAIK for building the Windows PE image.
    Boot to USB stick, same result: blue screen with mouse but nothing else.
    The other option noted is to build an ISO file, which I did. But there are no further instructions on how to boot to the ISO file from the USB stick.
    Their instructions are non specific enough and lacking. Sent a note to tech support. They blew me off and said no tech support for the 16 Free edition.

If I can get this USB stick to work properly, I'll stick with the product. Otherwise, I'm going to go to another backup and recovery software.

Used older versions of Paragon Backup and Recovery and made the recovery media successfully. Never had this kind of goofy trouble.
    thanks for your help in advance.
    R.

Re: Recovery Media Builder USB

thanks for the help and quick reply.
    Been to that page, created the file as directed. But there are no instructions what to do with the file once it is created ! The final instruction is broad and general:
    "Save the file and create a new rescue environment."
    WHERE should it be saved? this is what I wrote to tech support who refused to tell me....?
    thanks
    R,

Quote Originally Posted by ralphyost View Post
    WHERE should it be saved?
    In the same place. For example C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Backup and Recovery 16 Free\program\winpe_custom_x64\Windows\system32 for x64 Windows. The corrected startnet.cmd should be saved (it will replace the old file), and then create Recovery Media.

ok, will try that. Thank you for the clarification.
    Have to run for now.
    R.

Excellent and specific instructions. Thank you for that. Others will benefit.
    Now getting another situation: after booting to the USB stick, the blue screen comes on with mouse but now I get a message saying there is a problem and your PC needs to be restarted. Restarted and brings you back to the same thing.

Why is creating the recovery media so difficult? Should be a one step process. This is way too much work.

??
    thanks
    R.
    Last edited by ralphyost; 13.12.18 at 01:58.

In the spring, I asked technical support for something about the BR16, and they answered me including a “Please note that Backup & Recovery 16 is an obsolete product and is presented as one of the tabs Hard Disk Manager 16”. And really, the BR16 hasn't been updated for too long, try the HDM16.5 https://www.paragon-software.com/hom...ows/#resources
    Last edited by fireworker; 13.12.18 at 09:23.

obsolete? I just downloaded it from their site! If its obsolete then why are they still allowing people to download it? Something is amiss.......
    How do I get a recovery media that works on my new Dell laptop?
    thanks again for your help.
    R.

FINALLY got this resolved. Get this:
    Had to download ANOTHER PROGRAM in order to properly create the recovery media. I had to download the HDM16 software program, then use it to create the recovery media, which worked! Yeah !

So now here is the important question: Why doesnt the Backup And Restore 16 Free version properly create the restore media but the HDM16 does?
    Why dont they simply update the Backup And Restore 16 Free version so it works correctly and its users dont end up with a failure?
    Its bizarre.......
    R.