Thread: Naming HDM 16 backups

Naming HDM 16 backups

Hi

I've been using Paragon for the past 8 years or so with no problems. Have just run HDM 16.5 for the first time and appears to be working okay.

However, it insists on creating files named Job-nnnn. This is useless as having six PCs to backup means it's impossible to ID anything easily. I named the master backup as always with HDM15 along the lines of PC-Name-DiskSize-reason but seems to have been ignored. Despite reading this forum and the manual I can't see how to get rid of the Job--- naming.

Any ideas please? I've probably missed something....

I would prefer to carry on using HDM 15 but it's no longer working properly for Restore which will be the subject of another post if Support don't come up with any answers.

IMHO the GUI to 16.5 is terrible and very clunky. The quicker I can get rid of it the better, As for setting up excludes (once found where it's buried), can't select folders????

All machines here are Dell and running Windows 10 1803 except one on Win 8.1:

T5610
    2xT3610
    M4700
    M6800
    T1700

TIA

Tony

Re: Naming HDM 16 backups

I'm surprised no one has hit this problem before but I have now found that this only appears to happen when creating a Backup Job. Creating a Single Backup names it as it should.

On HDM15 it was possible to create a single backup and then schedule incremental backups afterwards - this does not seem possible on HDM 16.5 as it has been so simplified.

Tony

Well it is is possible to create a single backup then select it, right click and select Create Increment. But no option to Schedule it unfortunately. Wouldn't be necessary if the Create Job facility worked properly when naming the job...

Tony

it is nuts. what you can do is, in your BACKUP folder, set a subfolder for the machine name
    example
    c:\dBackup\Home12
    then inside that folder, create the ujob.
    do separate folder for each machine
    then at least the job is in the appropriate subfolder
    but, you are right, the names are screwy

re: interface - yes, it was a crazy learning curve. AND, wth several earlier bugs, there were problems.
    BUT, I will give credit to support - I've posted many bug reports, quirk reports, and as of this latest version, PHDM 16.5 is running much cleaner,and I'm finally getting back to get my backup jobs into a normal schedule, no crashes, etc

Thanks. Yes I already do that for all backups.

Support? What Support? I posted this problem and another on HDM 15 12 days ago and zero response. Anyway I've given up with HDM 16.5 and reverted to 15 so a waste of three licences.

I did try to see if 15 would restore a 16.5 backup but it said it wasn't supported. Don't recollect any mention of that though or that the backup format has changed in 16.5. 16.5 can restore 15 okay.