Thread: Do I have to run a backup of the boot drive from a bootable CD or USB stick?

Do I have to run a backup of the boot drive from a bootable CD or USB stick?

I seem to remember that in the past, in order to be able to successfully backup and restore my boot SSD (Windows 10), I had to boot my computer from a bootable CD that contained the Paragon software, and then run the Paragon backup software from the CD, as well.

I just purchased the latest version of Paragon’s Hard Drive Manager & don’t see this limitation mentioned anywhere. So, I just want to confirm that I can run Paragon’s HD Manager from the version installed on C: , and should a catastrophe occur (eg a major infection), and I ever need to re-install the entire OS & all my software, there would be no problem doing it without the annoyance of using a bootable CD to run the backup.

Thanks in advance,

Tom M

Re: Do I have to run a backup of the boot drive from a bootable CD or USB stick?

you can install in windows, on your c: drive (or whatever bootable drive), and run it from there (back up all essential partitions, Paragon helps determine this), and then when you restore, you can restore to a new disk, all partitions, and have the drive boot.
    if you have a removable drive that you can test, it is worth doing this, just to see how a disaster can be handled.

AW: Do I have to run a backup of the boot drive from a bootable CD or USB stick?

no limitation: recommendation. https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/3935 - English version hot off the press ;-)
    /* Dies ist ein Service Ihres freundlichen Paragon-Support-Teams ;-) / This is a service of your friendly Paragon support team ;-) */

Re: Do I have to run a backup of the boot drive from a bootable CD or USB stick?

Thank you both! This is exactly what I wanted to know. And, aoz987, I had already planned to do exactly what you suggested, ie, restore c: to a new physical drive and make sure the entire operation went as expected. Thanks again.

I have recently purchased an SSD drive, 500 G.
    I have hooked this to my router. FIRST, I created emergency boot media, on a USB stick. I THEN CLONED This to the 500g drive. it was about a 16g partition. (or 32 g)
    I shrunk that partion to 8 G. I then made an NTFS partion of the remaining 490+ g on the SSD.
    NOW< I can do a backup, wirelessly (takes longer, but I don't have to connect external job) for my tablet, or other devices. backup resides on the NTFS partition. In event of disaster, I can unhook that drive, hook directly to affected machine, BOOT with recovery media, and restore the NEW drive from image on the 500g NTFS partition.
    OR, I could hook empty drive to a working machine, and still recover from the NTFS drive, to a new drive, then insert it to new machine.