Thread: Backup/restore from VD - Hard Disk Manager 15

Backup/restore from VD - Hard Disk Manager 15

I am trying to back up a firewall appliance running Microsoft TMG 2010 to image, it has a linux based rescue partition and a Windows Server 2008R2 OS partition and I think it uses GRUB to manage the boot process. I have successfully cloned the disk directly, had to do this as RAW so that it would boot, however I have had no luck restoring an image or creating a virtual machine. I seem to get the same error when trying either of these - it gets about half way through then pops up an error advising memory could not be written, and aborts. I have created an image successfully (or at least it completed) so I'm not sure if this is a settings issue when taking the image, or another fault somewhere, or the software simply cannot handle a dual boot GRUB hard drive. Can anyone advise?

I am trialling this software to see what it is capable of, I'm hoping it comes in useful for various projects like P2V and assistance with deployment.

Re: Backup/restore from VD - Hard Disk Manager 15

MVIMG_20180807_132511.jpg
    Pic for reference

how are you trying to create the image? did you make a BOOTABLE RECOVERY MEDIA from PHDM 15, and then boot from that, and make an image of the disk?
    also if trialing this and this is a free version, suggest first migrate to the newest version from their site (backup 2017 or something like that)

This is a memory violation. Very ancient kind of error. Check your memory?

On a server OS you must have Premium or Business. Why don't you contact Paragon support?

My guess from several experiments and support cases over years: Paragon does only handle file systems = partitions. It does not handle anything outside partitions like the MBR. That means: Of course it is not able to handle GRUB managed systems. On restore it restores the partitions then it creates a new standard Windows MBR and enables Windows boot. Windows MBR is 512 bytes, GRUB MBR is usually much bigger. But with the first 512 byte overwritten with Windows MBR code it won't work anymore, wouldn't it? You may want to save/restore the sectors before the first sector of the first partition using dd or the Paragon sector editor after having restored the backup. That should do it. The restore option of the sector editor is only available in certain advanced versions. Make sure to check in advance.

Older versions of Paragon software offer the option to save the MBR. IMHO this option does nothing. If it would it would save only a Windows sized MBR which is not helpful in this case.

Anyway Paragon software is not recommended for Linux dual boot and GRUB booted systems. Except Linux only systems restored to the same HDD. That would leave the GRUB MBR untouched because no Windows is available.