Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do after successful migration?

What to do after successful migration?

I successfully migrated my OS and files to a new SSD. I changed the boot order in the UEFI BIOS and now I am currently on the new SSD. I still have plugged in and letter changed the old drive with all the original information on it. I want to keep it to carry on using it for other storage means, so that would require me to format the drive.
    Can I just go straight ahead and format it right now or are there additional steps required? I've been looking around and some people say it's fine, while others say not to format it. Additionally if I were to format it, disk management doesn't allow me to touch the old recovery partition..? What would I have to do to format this as well?

https://i.imgur.com/6k53Ln9.png - Screenshot of Disk Management if you need (Disk 2 is the old one and Disk 1 is the newer)

Re: What to do after successful migration?

IF you have all your data backed up elsewhere (and not just on the NEW SSD and old drive), then you could reformat the whole drive.

QUESTION - WHAT are oyou going to use the old drive for, and how big is it compared to current new SSD drive.

IF you are going ot use it for just file storage (putting it into an external USB case, plugging it in, do backup, unmount it/unplug it), then you can erase the WHOLE drive, paragon can reformat the whole drive, remove recovery partition, etc

In theory, if you have a Paragon IMAGE backup of your working partitions (and other partitions that Paragon deems necessary), then you would probably never need the RECOVERY partition (IF you are running windows 10, for example). IF you ever wanted to revert back to original condition, the windows 10 updater can do a CLEAN INSTALL, keeping your license, and bring the system back to a new windows install (with latest version of windows 10, and no other software installed),

IF you had a disaster on your drive, it blew up, and yuou have the image bckup, then uyou can restore to new drive, from the current image, and be ready to go from the point of last backup

Hi, thanks for replying. After looking around I tested to see if the new SSD would boot and work fine without having the original plugged in, and it was.
    I plugged the original back in and formatted all the partitions and everything is working alright. [did this manually since Paragon said I don't have the license to use that part of their software..?]
    The old drive was a 240GB SSD and the new one is a 1TB SSD. I plan to store games on the 250GB one so that they load faster than being on my HDD.
    The new drive has the additional 2 drives transferred over anyways. (recovery and System Reserved)

My only issue is that the new drive seems somewhat slow in terms of benchmarking. 4K-64thrd is not even working on the benchmark for some reason. Write speed is abysmal too...
    Here is a screenshot of the test (4K-64Thrd excluded because the speeds keeps dropping to tiny numbers, cant even complete the test with it turned on...)
    wPlVWdm.png

question
    if both drives are SSD, why load the games on the 250gb? do you have that connected as external usb, or as internal 2nd drive? just curious.
    re: the recovery, and system reserved - I know the system reserved is needed; is the recovery at the END of the drive, so all the main space is contiguous? (just curious)

re: speed, not sure about the speed testing, I don't get into games too muc; all I know is that compared to my old DOS machine that had 5 1/4 inch floppies in it, I never worry about speed any more :-)) I hav 4 machines, I replaced all bootable drives with SSD, amazing performance increase for standard day to day work, and even graphics stuff.
    I just bought one of the evo 860's, have it plugged to router to do backups from all the machines (once paragon fixes the glitch that causes a "file not found" error....)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1 View Post
    My only issue is that the new drive seems somewhat slow in terms of benchmarking. 4K-64thrd is not even working on the benchmark for some reason. Write speed is abysmal too...
    Does Old Sandisk produce normal speeds?
    Did you try to connect a new drive to the place of the old one (the same cable, the same SATA port)?
    Is the Samsung Magician app installed?

Hello fireworker,
    Yes the old one works alright for a drive that's 4+ years old.
    Samsung Magician app is installed, but that didn't make any difference to the performance. I've not turned on RAPID mode since I want to fix the actual drive, not cover up the issue with RAM caching.

Here is a benchmark comparison:

Old Drive: https://i.imgur.com/TXoPGzK.png
    New Drive: https://i.imgur.com/B3BKzWT.png
    Last edited by Alex1; 31.07.18 at 23:36. Reason: added link for comparison

Hi Alex1,
    Perhaps the problem is the compatibility of Samsung SSD and the AMD AHCI driver.
    https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/...em/td-p/575813

in the Russian forum, one user solved problem by replace the AMD driver to a standard MS. http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=11:45385:3359#3359

Hi firework,

I migrated my OS back to my old drive and it is working fine. I reformatted the 1TB Samsung SSD and write speeds seem to have improved, but the 4K-64Thrd is still an issue. See here: https://i.imgur.com/YVgM6XJ.png

It seems the SSD already has a Microsoft driver. Again, please see here: https://i.imgur.com/YP2RTsm.png
    The driver seems really old even though it says it's up to date. How would I change the driver (if at all I need to?)

What is your Windows and what motherboard?

System Specs:

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350
    Vishera 32nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
    Graphics
    BenQ EW2440L (1920x1080@60Hz)
    BenQ EW2440L (1920x1080@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Undefined)
    Storage
    238GB SanDisk SDSSDHP256G SATA Disk Device (SSD)
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM 003-1ER162 SATA Disk Device (SATA)
    931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB SATA Disk Device (SSD)
    3726GB Seagate BUP BK SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA))
    Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB SATA CdRom Device
    Audio
    Corsair VOID RGB Wireless Gaming Headset