Thread: Microsoft NTFS and HFS for Linux Professional Driver Problem

Microsoft NTFS and HFS for Linux Professional Driver Problem

Hi,

I have used Paragon products on the Windows platform so I was eager to install and use the NTFS and HFS driver for Linux. However, not a pleasant experience so far. Why?

Well, first of all it is posted under a "product for Home Users". But what You get is the source with an install-script to install on your Linux system. I don't know, Video, Scanner, Printer drivers, nowadays you can often download a binary driver and off you go, not so with Paragon.

But hey, I've some other Purchased Commercial Linux Applications that need compilation, too, so ... Who cares was my first thought ...

Well, not for long ... Took the driver package, installed all the prerequisites on OpenSUSE 42.3 and the Install.sh script failed ...

Then I tried to run the configure script, it works, but then a plain "Make" fails ...

"So, maybe it's a platform issue?" ...

Took another system:

Fedora 28: failed
    Ubuntu 16: failed

... So 3 systems further and no working Linux Purchase.

First question here:

How to fix this compilation issue?

Secondly, Hey, Paragon! You have a product on sale that is unpolished and wrongly marketed. Mail Clients like Hiri, Multimedia Applications like Houdini, Lightworks, Ardour, just to name a few ... They all have a more polished distribution system. I can't see a reason not to revise your Linux Software distribution method ... It's 2018. Not everybody is happy with the decision, but hey, we even have SystemD on Linux

And IF you really need to install the driver by compilation, then please, support the mainstream Distro's like Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, Redhat/Fedora, Opensuse and perhaps Gentoo/Arch Linux by providing a more intelligent script or some installation tool.

I'd love to use your product, since I'm in need of a proper NTFS driver for Linux. However, I've purchased the software and want a working solution, not a solution were I need to debug and search of a solution in order to get it to do what I expected it to do at the time of purchase.

Happy with a lot of Paragon solutions, but not with this approach and/or tool at present since it's not working.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.
    Last edited by Pruski; 14.05.18 at 19:24.

Re: Microsoft NTFS and HFS for Linux Professional Driver Problem

Free version (express) only supports kernels up to 4.12, check your kernel version (uname -r).
    Pro version is also mentioned with the same kernel versions, but you must ask support and they will email you an updated installer that works with more recent kernels (tech support confirmed me on a similar query that at least 4.15 is supported for currently licensed users).

If your kernel is ≤ 4.12 you should be able to install using the free Express (or ofc Pro) 9.5 package, maybe attach the log with the errors, you should find that in the same directory;
    If your kernel is ≥ 4.13 then the free package won't build unless modifications to the source are made (I did that for my KDE neon, which uses a 4.13 kernel, I can send you that if anything) OR buy the pro package (if done so already ask support and you will get the installer made for more recent kernels) OR wait for a new updated express version (how long? don't know)

On the more generic issues, my 2 cents:
    - as of now, bcs of the closed source, IP, patents and other law(ly) names there are only two developers who offer a (great) kernel module for real NTFS support, namely Paragon and Tuxera
    - while Tuxera only sends his kernel module in a compiled binary (ko) form and for a specific kernel version (to his customers only, no free version), Paragon is giving that for free in his Express edition and with at least a partial source code, that one can compile for whatever kernel (and if you have the Pro you're pretty much covered with any version)
    - both have, I guess, the main interest in the OEM, embedded area and less in the common linux user, Paragon has already did way more than one could expect from a commercial developer, ie Express edition
    Last edited by ionioni; 17.05.18 at 04:57.