Thread: Please help! I'm desperate!

Please help! I'm desperate!

Two of my ReFS internal hard disks suddenly fail to mount in Windows 10 Pro after update and reboot. Disk management shows both of them as RAW. These drives are relatively new and modern, so I do not think they are faulty.

Therefore, I would like to use ubuntu to access my ReFS hard drives so I can transfer my files out onto another drive. Reformatting my drives now is not an option as they both contain important files and I do not have a backup.

However, I am having a lot of difficulty installing the Paragon ReFS driver for Linux provided here.

I initially used Ubuntu 18.04 but that failed and I thought the latest Ubuntu version might not be supported so I went back to 16.04, but that still didn't work - and now I am on Ubuntu 14.04.

I downloaded the .gz file into my downloads folder, extracted it there and run sudo ./install.sh

Terminal keeps showing the following error message. Please help!

Building driver to kernel 4.4.0-124-generic
    Install driver to kernel 4.4.0-124-generic
    Can't install driver

Here below is my install log file. Please help! Thank you very much.

paragon-urefs-install.log

Re: Please help! I'm desperate!

Why Ubuntu? ReFS is a proprietary Microsoft FS. I would use for example WinPE or Win To Go of the same build that was before the update.
    --------------------
    Offtop. It would be interesting to see whether Paragon HDM recognizes the "old" ReFS from the updated Windows.
    I think that will recognize and give access to files.
    Last edited by fireworker; 12.05.18 at 10:05.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Why Ubuntu? ReFS is a proprietary Microsoft FS. I would use for example WinPE or Win To Go of the same build that was before the update.
    Because I have tried connecting my ReFS harddisk to another Windows 10, an old windows 10 (from 2016), windows server 2012 and none of them is able to mount the harddisk. However I have not tried WinPE and Win to Go.

Offtop. It would be interesting to see whether Paragon HDM recognizes the "old" ReFS from the updated Windows.
    Ok I will give this a shot.

I read Wiki:
    ReFS has some different versions, with various degrees of compatibility between operating system versions. Aside for development versions of the filesystem, usually later operating system versions can mount filesystems created with earlier OS versions (backwards compatibility). Some features may not be compatible with the feature set of the OS.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReFS#V..._compatibility
    it seems to me the most reliable decision to use Windows exactly with build in which your specific ReFS was created.

I read Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReFS#V..._compatibility
    it seems to me the most reliable decision to use Windows exactly with build in which your specific ReFS was created.
    I wish I am able to do this, but I have since deleted my old.windows folder and now unable to revert back to the previous version. Is there a place where I can download various windows build?

--------------------
    I tried Paragon HDM, and it too, is unable to recognise my ReFS harddisk. It shows it being an unformatted drive. However it is the trial version. But I don't think is due to that.

I am running out of ideas here. What else can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by dernkms View Post
    I tried Paragon HDM, and it too, is unable to recognise my ReFS harddisk. It shows it being an unformatted drive. However it is the trial version. But I don't think is due to that.
    OK, thanks for info
    I am running out of ideas here. What else can I do?
    Google the necessary build, download it, create a portable version (WinPE, Win To Go, etc)
    Or you can google WinPE at once on the desirable build

contact Microsoft Support?
    -----------------------
    "Trial version"? HDM16 Basic is free.
    Last edited by fireworker; 13.05.18 at 15:46.