Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am in deep shit - please help. Disk manager erased a disc and can't be restarted!

Unhappy I am in deep shit - please help. Disk manager erased a disc and can't be restarted!

I have version 16 of Partition Manager free version.

I have a hard disk with C-drive, a Windows Backup partition and D-drive. My C-drive was running out of space, so I asked the Hard Disk Manager to to three things:
    1: Shrink the D-drive 20 GB from "the left"
    2: Move the Windows Backup partition 20 GB to the right
    3: Expand the C-drive 20 GB.

The system restarted and a lot of status messages made me feel everything was ok. Until I logged on to Windows.
    My D-drive is vanished! If I try to access it, I just get at message: It must be formatted - it contains no recognizable file system. My C-drive has the same size as before. And everytime I start the Paragon app it shows me a pop-up:
    CAdvLauncherViewModel. No control found: mainMenu
    I have tried deleting the app and reinstall it, but it still fails!

And to top all: I did not make a backup of my D-drive.

So I really will appreciate any good suggestions about what to do now. Thank you.

Re: I am in deep shit - please help. Disk manager erased a disc and can't be restart

Please attach the screenshots of Disk Management and the Paragon pop-up message.

Re: I am in deep shit - please help. Disk manager erased a disc and can't be restart

Paragon pop-up Popup.jpg

What do you meen with screenshots of Disk Management? I can't start Paragon ...

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
    What do you meen with screenshots of Disk Management?
    A screenshot of the standard Windows "Disk Management" Snap-in.
    Win+R -> diskmgmt.msc
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
    I can't start Paragon ...
    I understood it.
    But I don't understand why this happened (HDM committed suicide?) And most importantly I don't understand why it can't be reinstalled.

Please make a request to technical support https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/129

I have already opened a request to support - I just hoped somebody here were faster.

I also don’t understand why Paragon suddenly can’t be opened. And especially not after a complete delete and install.

As for my disappearing D-drive I have a theory: The partition has been shrunken and after a Windows restart Paragon would move the data “20 GB to the right” which would move data to the new place. But because of the mainForm error it could not be done. So if I somehow could move the beginning of the partition back, the FAT would be restored.

I will start the pc tomorrow and look at the disc management - right now it’s 2AM and I need to sleep. But thanks for your interest so far.

Okay - Disk Management gave a good idea about what happened.
    Diskmgmt.jpg
    The D-drive has been shrunken about 25 GB from the right. And maybe the data has then been moved "to the right" on the harddisk and Paragon just needed to move the partition as well - this might explain why the D-drive is marked as RAW instead of NTFS.

If I ask Disk Management about the D-drive it tells me used space is 0 byte, free space is 0 byte and capacity is 0 byte. When I ask it to search the drive for errors I am told, this can't be done because the disk is not formatted.

Any new suggestions?

HDM has an Undelete Wizard, I would suggest trying with it - to delete RAW and last 42MB partitions and then restore (it seems to me a risky operation, but more often it helped). Since HDM committed suicide, I would have suspected a physical malfunction of HDD, and would have looked at SMART parameters.
    Since you have turned to the Support directly. you should wait for an answer, I hope they will offer an effective and safe solution.

Offtop. After the restorу of your D-disk, I advise you to make a backup. After that, perform a clean installation of Win 10. After upgrading Win 7 to Win 10, you added an "extra" partition of 454 MB, which breaks the exterior harmony of disk partitioning and possibly prevented Paragon from performing the necessary operations

I will try to keep my nerves in control until I hear from Paragon Support.

Thanks for your advice so far. And for your off topic advice ... I didn't know the extra partition came from upgrading Windows 8 to 10. And of course I should make a backup. I have sometimes mocked my kids for not doing backup, and then I fald into the very same pitfall at the worst time. Talk about irony

Now I will await the support answer.

It is better not to do anything until the support answer. I hope everything will be resolved well.

do you have a spare computer, and a spare hard drive? if so, try COPYING the current screwy disk to a spare disk, then explore it with the spare computer, to at least chaeck for data, etc. but, as fireworker said, might be better to do nothing at this point, until support replies.