Thread: External Drives for Raspberry Pi

External Drives for Raspberry Pi

I am attempting to set up a Plex Server on a Raspberry Pi. I have an external 3TB hard drive that I will be using to store the media. The media is currently stored on a drive that is attached to a Mac (High Sierra).

I am trying to figure out what type of format I should use with the external drive. When I format it with NTFS, it only formats to 2.2 TB out of the 3 TB. This is kinda the reason why I was going with Paragon's NTFS for Mac; so I could use the whole drive in an easy format that both systems could uses.

What do I do?

I bet this is a common question, but I couldn't get 3TB or 2.2Tb to search well!

TIA

Re: External Drives for Raspberry Pi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ected View Post
    I am trying to figure out what type of format I should use with the external drive. When I format it with NTFS, it only formats to 2.2 TB out of the 3 TB. This is kinda the reason why I was going with Paragon's NTFS for Mac; so I could use the whole drive in an easy format that both systems could uses.

What do I do?

I bet this is a common question, but I couldn't get 3TB or 2.2Tb to search well!

TIA
    any FS, the main thing is to convert the disk to GPT
    https://www.techrrival.com/mbr-vs-gpt/