Thread: Paragon 16 and Network Drives

Unhappy Paragon 16 and Network Drives

I have been using Paragon since Version 14. I have used the program to fix a crashed OS more than twice. It has always worked. Now, I have upgraded to V16, and what a mistake! I have three networked computers (2 win 7 and 1 win10). I keep backups of each computer on the others in addition to having a backup of each computer on an internal HDD. This way I can always restore the OS in case of a catastrophic event.
    This new version 16 is so plagued with bugs I am afraid to rely on the program. It started with installation issues, I would up finding one of the three computers that would accept the install. However, every time it starts I get errors about not finding D: and E: drives. Once open it does see those drives so this bug is just an annoyance. But the biggest flaw, and one that makes the program unusable for me is that you cannot backup to another networked computer. It doesn't matter if the network drive is mapped or homegrouped, or the drive given permissions to Admins, everyone, owner or the same login as the computer you want to back up. Repeated service ticket simply get a response "Thank you for reaching out. At the moment we are unable to process your response in a timely manner, we apologize for the inconvenience. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding". Weeks pass by with no fix so I must assume this means they have no answer.
    I am going back to my reliable Paragon 15 so that I am sure a critical restore can be executed without problems. Paragon V16 is their version of the software equal to MS Windows Vista.
    I only hope V17 will get the product back on track because V16 worries me.

Re: Paragon 16 and Network Drives

do you have the latest release? I believe it is 16.18.1. check your version, and if it is not that one, go to web and download.
    I have posted about 30+ (literally) support requests to them, for this new version, due to interface bugs, quirks, etc. They HAVE been responsive (slowly but responsive) at tackling many of these.

regarding data reliability, I have backed up, restored, done binary comparisons to the data, etc, and I believe the core backup of data is rock solid (I am NOT a sales person for them, I am just a person who wants my data protected). They did mess up the interface, but are slowly getting all the critical items back into the program, or at least explaining where they exist in the new interface.

don't give up hope yet : - )

I do have the latest update. That is the first thing always checked. I will continue to use Paragon, however, for now I'm back to version 15, for me it is more reliable both psychologically and physically. It is good to know you have done binary comparisons, it makes me more comfortable with the backups I have done using Version 16. For me, and I have used or tried to use the program on three boxes and I cannot select a network drive for backup or restore. If I try to manually enter the path in the box it will not accept the typing characters. Accessing another computer with an OS backup is crucial in a HDD failure. I’ve had to use this three times within the past five years. Since I purchased V16 at an upgraded price, I am willing to wait until V16 has another update or wait until V17 is released.

what are you trying to do? are you trying to access hard drive on "computer B", from "computer A", and mapping the computer B drive? I can possibly experiment on my machines to try this.
    I DO have a router, Netgear Nighthawk, it has a USB SSD drive attached, and I've actually been able to back up to that, using ethe network path (something like :\\readyshare\router..... )
    Perhaps trying the PATH, (I guess something like \\Computer-B\drive....), is worth trying?
    if I get some time on these machines, I will try mapping the letter, or trying the paths, to the separate machines
    I hope you get it working, or possibly something can be figured out. I truly believe these guys (paragon) are sincere In making a good product, but that this upgrade from PHDM 15 to PHDM 16 (which I think was done to help increase sales to people who just wanted to point and click, and not use advanced features) screwed up the location and interaction of the advanced features that you and I need.

True about the upgrade from 15 to 16. What I cannot do is enter ANY typing at the network location box. You should be able to enter a path, UNC or maped, but for me it I cannot place the curser into the box.

if that is the case, then something seems screwy with the specific installation. see attached, I sleected CREATE SINGLE BACKUP ,selected the files to do (drive/partition), destionation was NETWORK, and this box comes up, and as you can see, the cursor is inside, (correction, the cursor does NOT show in the image, but it was in the blue highlighted box : - ) ) not greyed out. possibly reinstalling might help, just reaching for alternatives for you; but otherwise that is bizarre.
    but, when it IS working right, you can get to the box to type into. so something is definitely not working right.
    i'll experiment more also.
    nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have already uninstalled then reinstalled.ANd no change. Since I still have V15, until a patch release is ready, I'll just stick with V15 for network saves and V16 for local and/or local attached saves. I just installed a 3d HDD in this box so I sort of have fault tollerance for my data in this computer (HDD's D:\ and E:\)