Thread: Cannot verify backup or create recovery media

Cannot verify backup or create recovery media

Hi all
    I am a new user on the free Backup and Recovery product … but I cannot get the product to:
    • Verify a backup that it has just created – “selected path is not available” (it’s on a brand new SD card that paragon sees fine in the “My computer” view)
    • Create recovery media – “error code 18, Cannot copy file” – I can create an empty text file on it no problems

I’d like to use Paragon as it seems to have a good range of features but cannot seem to get started so wonder if I’ve missed something really basic.

The machine is a brand new Intel Celeron N3450, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, the backup is written to the 64GB SD card OK occupying 21GB of space.

Thanks

Re: Cannot verify backup or create recovery media

can you post a couple screen shots?
    first, let's work with verifying the backup. if you've created the backup, then once done it should show the backup, on a single line. CLICK on that line, and some options should open up; one of those is to "check the bckup" (or some such terminology)>
    post a screen shot of what you see, if it does not seem to want to check the bckup.

Many thanks for the speedy reply
    here are some screen shots; of the computer and three of the verification steps.
    To me it looks like its not pointing at the D:drive in the path to the backup??
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2nd image, your path does not have a drive letter in it. something is not picking up the drive letter.
    also, try to make the masking smaller, hard to see if drive letter or hashes are present (in captureed images)
    Unless you are the NSA, or your file names are in a security system, or it contains account numbers, i doubt anyone is going to hijaak them : - )

see attached, how my drive letter shows up.

if you have a spare external drive, try connecting it, and re-run a backup, then check integrity.
    your 4th capture shows that the drive letter IS SEEN, but I have had a couple issues with an SSD drive in an external drive box (separate issue, has its own thread, but was still detected as a drive letter)

I have tried with an external drive and successfully created a backup and verified it.
    The only difference I can see is the disk format of the SD card is exFAT - does Paragon support this file system type?
    My plan was to use the Corsair as the recovery drive and the SD card as the backup. Maybe build a single disk with both recovery and boot partitions as documented in these forums.
    Your help is much appreciated
    Thanks

IF paragon was able to BACK UP to the xFat, then I believe it is able to handle that type of drive.
    re: your screen captures - any way you can redo them at slightly higher resolution? i'm 64 years old with trifocals, and they appear fuzzy even if I enlarge them : - )
    re: a single drive - couple ways to do it. I have a 256 G SSD drive. I created RMB on it (convoluted, because when attached, paragon only saw it as internal drive, and would not let me RMB it, so I had to go back to PHDM 15 and RMB it). try it on yours though.
    You can make the RMB on it, shrink it to 8 G or so, then take the rest of unallocated pspace, and make an NTFS partition, so I have an 8 G Fat32 bootable partition, and a 240 +/- partition, of NTFS, and when I boot with it when attached to USB, paragon boots with the RMB partition, and can also see the NTFS as storage.
    ANOTHER way would be to make the WHOLE drive as Fat32 (but I don't know how fat32 allows for 256 G drive, which is why I may have made the separate partitions), because paragon, when doing images, and you select defaults, sets the max file size as 4G, and starts consecutive files in that size, so that recovery images can fit on a Fat32 device.

why don't you try re-backing up to the xFat, see if it can be CHECK INTEGRITY when done; if it can't then reformat as NTFS, and try it, just to see that it is able to rEAD the drive after doing a bckup.

Good news - reformatting the SD card to NTFS worked Many thanks for your help.
    Out of interest do people set the largest possible block size when reformatting in NTFS - seems to make sense as backup files are big beasts, although I've no idea how much of a boost it gives and it is obviously wasteful to set a 4MB block for smaller files?

So now to my second question re creating a bootable USB stick. Going back to my previous images I am trying to use the Corsair USB stick. I've used this for booting to Linux before (on other machines) so I suspect the problem relates to the files needed to create a bootable disk. I didn't really understand the options and the help manual wasn't that clear... to me at least.
    Thanks

re: NTFS , I just use their defaults

re: bootable usb stick - are you using the RMB builder? That works very well