Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to create a system backup to VHD file containing that partition only

Re: How to create a system backup to VHD file containing that partition only

Quote Originally Posted by logon View Post
    Have you ever booted a Paragon Backup and Recovery WinPE image from USB Flash Drive?
    Well, your VHD backup can run your win install from flash drive...
    From time to time, I boot from the USB: Paragon Recovery Media, or Microsoft Windos To Go, or Hasleo WinToUSB, or some Linux, or any UNIVERSAL environment.
    I don't understand why I need to boot "my win install from flash drive". If on internal HDD this Windows will work faster and more reliably.
    How?
    as an variant - a two-step pic.
    vhd1part.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    From time to time, I boot from the USB: Paragon Recovery Media, or Microsoft Windos To Go, or Hasleo WinToUSB, or some Linux, or any UNIVERSAL environment.
    I don't understand why I need to boot "my win install from flash drive".
    fireworker, with all the due respect, if you boot "Windows To Go" (from USB Flash Drive) and then do not understand why it is so useful then I frankly do not know what to do with it.
    However, although it is a bit offtopic, please try to think to PORTABLE programs and because they are so appreciated and used, and then try to think to YOUR OWN "portable" Windows installation booting from USB Flash Drive with ALL your settings, ALL your programs and ALL your "everything" you liked.
    Then try to think to boot that VHD image from USB Flash Drive from a different PC: just as an example, you could boot your VHD image from your USB Flash Drive plugged into your 2 or 3 different LAPTOPs, and also from a different DESKTOP PC, or from everything can boot an USB Flash Drive and now I think that all the above is auto-explicative, don't you?
    Sure, the performances cannot are the same compared to any internal HDD, but at this point who care? ;-)
    Anyway, also performances of a good USB Flash Drive are not so bad at all.

as an variant - a two-step pic.
    vhd1part.jpg
    Please could you explain/expand what did you want to mean with that pic?
    Thanks.

Well, you know better.
    I will only note that BR16 is developed for backup and recovery. For virtualization, Paragon has a Virtualization Manager, and a free "compact" version, that can do vhd with one partition. In general, to create vhd there are dozens of specialized tools, starting by Russinovich's disk2vhd.
    Please could you explain/expand what did you want to mean with that pic?
    You have the image of the whole hdd with the necessary partition occupying not all this disk drive.
    1. Using BR16, restore the desired partition to any physical disk of the appropriate size, for example, the USB flash drive.
    2. Using BR16 create an vhd image from this disk.

It's all.

I will only note that BR16 is developed for backup and recovery. For virtualization, Paragon has a Virtualization Manager, and a free "compact" version, that can do vhd with one partition. In general, to create vhd there are dozens of specialized tools, starting by Russinovich's disk2vhd.
    fireworker, I sincerely appreciate your good willing, but please note that I NEVER ask for ANYTHING of what you are speaking about, but thanks the same.

I ONLY asked if Paragon Backup & Recovery is able to save a VHD with NO unallocated space.

If it is NOT able (just as I begin to believe) then - if you KNOW that answer - the best (and short) reply is: "No".
    However, thanks the same again.
    You have the image of the whole hdd with the necessary partition occupying not all this disk drive.
    1. Using BR16, restore the desired partition to any physical disk of the appropriate size, for example, the USB flash drive.
    2. Using BR16 create an vhd image from this disk.

It's all.
    With all the due respect I frankly think you do not know what to say about, however I appreciate your good willing: thank you the same. :-)
    For me it is enough here, thanks!