Thread: Error "VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE" when attempting to back up.

Error "VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE" when attempting to back up.

Hello everyone,

We have Paragon protect and restore, server version 3.30, build 2716, and I have been getting the following error message when attempting to back up a specific machine for the last few months.

Error has occured in PrmVssEngine.DoSnapshot(). Error message: vssRequester.CreateVSSSnapshot() failed. backupType = FULL; treatAsFull = True; includedVolumes = \\?\Volume{5008fc5c-aae1-11e7-9d74-b99894c3cbd6}\, \\?\Volume{5008fc5d-aae1-11e7-9d74-b99894c3cbd6}\; includedWriters = ; excludedWriters = . Error details: CallingFunction = VssClient:oSnapshotSet(); FailedFunction = pAsync->QueryStatus(&hrStatus, NULL); hr = 0x2147754783; ComMessage = VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE. The system or provider has insufficient storage space. If possible delete any old or unnecessary persistent shadow copies and try again. This error code is only returned via the QueryStatus method on the IVssAsync interface returned in the ppAsync parameter.

I have increased the size of the shadow copy storage space to 50GB on the workstation, and I have also tried deleting the existing vss shadow copies via "vssadmin delete shadows /all" from the command line.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Jake

Re: Error "VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE" when attempting to back up.

Hi Jake.

I'm pretty sure, this machine has mounted MSR. Means: The little "System reserved" partition at the beginning of the hard disk has a volume letter.
    In this case, VSS tries to back it up... and that's not possible because it's too small for VSS.

Just remove the volume letter for it and your backup job will run.