Thread: New use here, just wanted to say Thanx!

New user here, just wanted to say Thanx!

Well... sometimes a small piece of software like this just falls right into place!

Got stuck with an old external disk formatted on NTFS (figured out that was the actual problem just recently), could only read from the device not write. Mac OS High Sierra and seemingly exactly what to expect.

Tested this Paragon solution and it worked beautifully, now I reorganized all backups and it works perfectly transparent and also surprisingly fast with this old USB (2.0) 500 GB drive. Works like any drive, no problems whatsoever.

Then I got the idea, why not try to revive an old 64 GB microSD drive formatted with ExFAT on an old Windows phone. No way in hell I could get it to mount on whatever computer mac or windows. Would not even format in Windows, discarded, same with repair options that failed.

So I gave it a try with the "verify" option (yes it showed up in the Paragon application), it worked for a couple of minutes and said the volume needed to be repaired (detailed info was provided about the reasons, omitted here). I clicked the repair button and Voila! A few minutes later the old hopelessly defect microSD drive not only worked just fine but also with the original contents intact.

Maybe this is not the right place for appreciation but I have to express my gratitude somewhere... great work and also unexpected value! Of course you could put a tad more effort in informing the user what is going on and expected time to complete certain processes but personally I just laid back and let it do its thing.
    Last edited by Leopold; 07.03.18 at 00:38.

Re: New use here, just wanted to say Thanx!

PS. Just wanted to add that I was a bit hasty in my conclusion about the reviving of the old microSD card to full health.

The good part was that I finally could get it to mount thanks to the Paragon utility and to download its contents (lots of precious photos I thought was lost forever). The bad part is that the card will not accept new writes and will not format, regardless of method, OS, cameras, phones what have you.

I guess that happens sometimes to microSD cards, a Sandisk Ultra 64 GB in this case. I doubt any software could cure what is basically worn out or faulty hardware, just glad I could mount it with the Paragon utility and save what was there.

So I now use other brands/quality levels for much greater longevity, like Transcend High Endurance or Premium 400x - never had a problem with these.

Re: New use here, just wanted to say Thanx!

you might have a warranty on that card, if you have receipt, check their warranty site. main thing is you got your data off of it. Paragon is a lifesaver with things like this.
    i had same issue with an SD card, in my phone; just froze after about 1 and 1/2 years. Luckily, I NEVER RELY ON THESE cards as main storage; i had it backed up to other sources. but got new card, inserted it, added the data, and bck in business