Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restore 80GB on 40GB..... possible?

Re: Restore 80GB on 40GB..... possible?

Quote Originally Posted by telldinun View Post
    Selected target does no fit to the source object. Performing retore to "Local Disk (C", 37.2 GB in sot possible. Please select another target.
    Maybe it's worth removing volume C: and trying to restore to unallocated space
    ------------------------
    No, I checked. it does not matter what's on the target drive. The source is important.
    Last edited by fireworker; 18.02.18 at 22:40.

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987 View Post
    re: screenshot - take a picture with your phone, it may help for understanding of the drive
    Thank you aoz987
    Here are the attachments

Restore 1.jpg

Restore 2.jpg
    Last edited by telldinun; 18.02.18 at 22:25.

Damn. You have 38.9 GB of data, it's natural that it does not fit to 37.2-gigabyte disk.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    Maybe it's worth removing volume C: and trying to restore to unallocated space?
    I deleted the partition and got Unallocated space of 37.2 GB after I did "Apply" changes. Now I end-up with the same message:
    Selected target does not fit the source object. Performing restore to "(Unallocated)", 37.2 GB is not possible. Please select another target.

Oh... I see what you mean...... Damn right......!
    Me go look for new hardrive in ebay/amazon!

Thanks guys.. Amazing team.. never thought I would hear anything from you so quick!!
    My appreciation... Have a nice long weekend.. Or just weekend depending on where you guys live!!

get an SSD drive, 256 gig. They are in great price ranges right now, and they are FAST.
    AND, post back when you get it, to see that you indeed got it restored !
    my own personal experience, I have 4 machines, I've replaced every system drive with SSD's, and it has given new life to the machines.
    I keep all the programs, etc, on the system drive, and then have a second standard drive attached (1 or 2 tb) to hold data, I have a ton of pictures, video's, etc
    but you should be good with a 256 gig drive (better than 120, because the 120's are not much less in price)

Quote Originally Posted by aoz987 View Post
    get an SSD drive, 256 gig. They are in great price ranges right now, and they are FAST.
    And can the SSD work 12 years, like the WD400BD?

By the way, if you restore only partition C: then Windows (most likely) will not boot. According to the scheme from the screenshot, first the "System reserved " (bootmgr and BCD) are booted. Or you need to restore this partition too, or copy the contents to C: and perform a "restore boot".

suggestion, Restore the WHOLE drive to the new drive. In the process, expand the size of the (eventual) c: partition. then the other partitions will fall into place.

re: will the drives work 12 years - Sadly, I don't belive so, but they are pretty reliable. RE: the WD drives, I have some of teh older WD drives, they were workhorses. UNFORTUNATELY, I would not trust any of the newer drives, even WD, for that long of life. that is why i make sure i have tons of backups, both image and data type. but with the SSD's, I'd get a program that can show you the SSD SMART info, to show if any failing sectors, etc (CrystalDiskInfo), and when first installed, I'd run a program like VeraCrypt, to create a large encryupted partition, then delete it, just to break the drive in, then check the SMART info, etc.

in teldinum's case, he has to use the drive immediately, but can still do something like the aboe, to the rest of the space.

for me, any new drive i buy, i put it into an external case, and test it out thoroughly, before committing data to it.