Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steps to Restore Windows 10 from VD using BR 14?

Re: Steps to Restore Windows 10 from VD using BR 14?

Quote Originally Posted by fireworker View Post
    It would be nice to look at SMART parameters of your HDD. It is possible that it is time to replace it with a new one.
    --------------------------
    or, if there are a few bad sectors - to remap them.
    Sorry, I didn’t notice your last comments. How can I look at the HDD’s SMART parameters? And how can I identify and remap any bad sectors?

run the diskpart and shrink the partition #3 a little
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2xjHrzrh58&t=45s
    then see change
    -------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sj_hills View Post
    How can I look at the HDD’s SMART parameters? And how can I identify and remap any bad sectors?
    with the program from the manufacturer of HDD https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/47 or some universal program (MHDD, Victoria, etc)

there are three options:
    1. Damage to the partition table is just case, logical bad, then simply fix it, overwrite it.
    2. There are several physical bad sectors, new ones do not appear. Remap the bads and it will be possible to work quietly for a few more years.
    3. The disc began to disintegrate, it can not be stopped, it is necessary to change it to a new one.
    Last edited by fireworker; 12.02.18 at 03:42.

Sorry for the slow reply, fireworker. Work got in the way. First, thanks for the additional tips and thoughts.

Before running DISKPART to change the partition size, I decided to check for for bad sectors. The only Toshiba HD diagnostic tool I could find for my model (Satellite A660) wouldn't run in the WinRE Command window ("... not compatible with the version of Windows you're running ..."), so I ran chkdsk c: /b and got the report shown in the screenshot below.
    IMG_0938r75.jpg

Since Stage 1 (scrolled off the top) reported "0 bad files processed ...", the only suspicious results were from Stage 5 ("Correcting errors in the volume bitmap.") and the final line ("Failed to transfer logged messages ..."). Unfortunately, whatever bitmap errors were corrected didn't solve my problem.

Guess that leaves running DISKPART as you suggested, increasing the size of partition #1 by 1 GB so it matches the size of that partition in the BR 14 backup (452 GB). After watching your YouTube video and reading the Help for DISKPART, it appears this is the correct sequence of commands:
    DISKPART> select disk=0
    DISKPART> select partition=2
    DISKPART> extend size=1024

Does that look right?

Ahhh! Just realized I made a mistake above, because partition numbers in the BR 14 archive are 0-3, while those in the partition table are 1-4. So,

Quote Originally Posted by sj_hills View Post
    ... increasing the size of partition #1 by 1 GB so it matches the size of that partition in the BR 14 backup (452 GB).
    ... should have been:
    "... increasing the size of partition #2 by 1 GB so it matches the size of partition #1 in the BR 14 backup"

No no. Don't increase anything, especially partition # 2 or 1, its size is normal. I suggested a bit on 10 MB try to shrink partition # 3 because strange to see a 800 GB partition on a 500 GB disk (this focus often helps https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/244). But
    Let's assume that the HDD is OK, just restore the entire disk, all the partitions from the backup.

Success, fireworker!!! The BR 14 Free "Restore from VD Wizard" was a little flaky, but eventually worked and restored the full disk. The wizard presents three Restore types as options, the first of which, Restore to original location, complained that "Partitions structure differs from archive." So I <Backed out and tried the other two options, Selective restore and Restore single participation, both of which also failed. Suspecting that using <Back to get out of an option wasn't completely resetting the environment, I exited the Wizard, restarted it, then tried the Selective restore option again. That worked flawlessly, as did applying my latest incremental backup.

Thanks very much for hangin' in there with me, and for all the coaching. I owe you, and will be in touch via PM.